West Suffield, CT
Job Title: Production Manager
Company: Simpaug Farms
Simpaug Farms, a 250-acre working farm nestled in the Connecticut River Valley, is part of the Connecticut Department of Agriculture Farmland Preservation program. As part of this program, we are required to use this land solely for agricultural purposes. The farm is not certified organic, but strives to practice organic and sustainable farming methods.
The farm currently has vegetable production, greenhouses, fodder crops, hens, beef cattle, pigs, and is equipped with a commercial kitchen. Produce is distributed through CSA, retail, and wholesale outlets in both Hartford and Fairfield Counties. The production manager will be responsible for oversight of the vegetable operations on the farm, while working in close cooperation with other members of the management team. The production manager will have the opportunity to contribute to the long-term planning and development of the property and business.
- This is a permanent, full-time, year-round position with varying hours through the seasons
- Planning and oversight of all greenhouse and field production activities , including seed starting, transplanting, soil testing, irrigation, crop maintenance and harvesting
- Responsible for hiring and managing the daily activities of seasonal farm labor
- Record keeping and reporting of planting and crop yield using Farm Produce Manager software
- Ensure best practices for post-harvest handling and food safety
- Work closely with sales manager to effectively market produce
- Communicate daily with management team
Qualifications and Skills
- Experience and expertise in sustainable vegetable farming, livestock, and farm management
- Thorough understanding of crop rotation, cover cropping, irrigation and soil maintenance
- Knowledge of farm equipment to ensure proper function and maintenance
- Skill in managing time efficiently, and effectively scheduling and supervising work crew
- Ability to assess priorities and solve problems proactively
- Mindfulness of budget and cost of production
- Excellent communication
- Salary will be commensurate with experience
- Housing is not provided
Please send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Tetra Tech, a leading multidisciplinary engineering and environmental consulting firm consistently ranked number 1 in Water Services and Environmental Management by Engineering News Record (ENR), is actively pursuing local food experts to support community technical assistance projects throughout the U.S. The successful candidate(s) will work as a team member to support outreach, planning and facilitation assignments related to community local foods assistance projects, under the direct supervision of a Project Manager. Typical responsibilities include: communicating with local communities and federal partner agencies to clarify community project goals, workshop planning, onsite outreach and facilitation, and preparation of a next steps strategy memo summarizing community workshop outcomes. Example community assistance projects include:
- Creating year-round, downtown markets featuring foods from local farmers.
- Planning cooperative grocery stores to help revitalize small-town main streets and existing neighborhoods.
- Creating centrally located community kitchens or food hubs to aggregate and market local foods.
- Incorporating downtown/neighborhood revitalization strategies such as business incubators to help entrepreneurs start food-related businesses on existing main streets.
- Making it easier and safer for people to walk or bicycle to farmers markets and local restaurants.
- Helping schoolchildren to grow their own food, and making healthy local food accessible to families, including via SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program) and WIC (Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children) benefits.
- Developing community gardens in walkable, transit-accessible places.
At a minimum, the successful candidate will have a background and bachelors degree in agricultural/local food related field and 5 or more years of related experience. Education and demonstrated work experience related to strong communication and public speaking skills are required, along with background or training in local food systems, innovative marketing, and/or urban agriculture and local food business entrepreneurship. Must be computer literate and have knowledge of MS Word.
Relocation Assistance: None
Tetra Tech is committed to maintaining a diverse workforce and is an equal opportunity employer. If you are interested in this exciting role, please send your resume and salary requirements by email to RTPemail@example.com. No phone calls please.
Various Locations, Oregon
ROGUE FARM CORPS
TRAINING THE NEXT GENERATION OF FARMERS
JOIN US AND APPLY FOR A POSITION TODAY!
START TO FARM!
Do you want to be a farmer? Rogue Farm Corps’ FarmsNext internship program is a great launching point for you to try out farming for a season. You will gain tons of real world experience working on a sustainable farm in Oregon.
FarmsNext is a full season (6-8 month) entry-level residential internship program. This on-farm experience combines field training with a mentor farmer, classroom learning, tours of local farms, and opportunities for farm-based independent study. No experience necessary. Learn more and apply today! http://roguefarmcorps.org
HONE YOUR SKILLS!
Are you ready to take your education and training to the next level and kick start your farming career? Our FarmsNOW apprenticeship program will teach you to manage and run a diversified, sustainable farming operation.
FarmsNOW is an on-farm program for those with some farm experience who are seeking mastery in the art and business of sustainable agriculture. Hands-on training, classes, seminars, and guidance on farm business development will help you gain the skills to plan, design, and run integrated farming systems on your own. Find out more and apply today! http://roguefarmcorps.org
Rogue Farm Corps is the only organization in Oregon that offers structured, entry-level and advanced farmer education and training programs rooted in real-world farm businesses. Our host farms are located in the Rogue Valley, the Portland Metro Area, the South Willamette Valley, and Central Oregon and offer experiences with vegetable production, animal husbandry, dairy, and more. For complete program descriptions, information on our host farms, and applications:http://roguefarmcorps.org
Seeking: Farm Operations Manager / Groundskeeper
The Job: Family owned/operated producer and seller of 100% grass fed beef, seeks a farm operations manager for the coordination and execution of its new grass-fed beef operation, based in Mechanicsburg, PA.
This position is an opportunity to manage and build our grass-fed beef production company. We’re looking for someone with foundational expertise in grass-fed cattle farming and a desire to be accountable for the growth of a business.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Ration preparation and cattle feeding on pasture
- Cattle moving, sorting and routine handling
- Rotational grazing system management
- Permanent and temporary fencing
- Daily record-keeping and data management
- Maintaining the 500 acres (mowing, snow plow, etc.)
Qualifications: Must have proven skill in all forms of communication, large animal husbandry, machinery operation, fencing, data management, and general farm maintenance.
Ability to work independently, ask questions, handle challenging situations, and solve practical problems required. 5+ years experience in the grass-fed cattle industry, animal nutrition, and/or business management is required.
Specific Skills Required:
- Cattle handling and care experience
- Proficiency in digital communications, including e-mail, mobile phone and text communication
- Record-keeping and digital data managment
- Farm tool and machinery operation, welding, mowing, etc.
Start Date: Interviewing will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Compensation: Housing provided, health insurance, company truck, and possible sales comission, dependent on experience.
To Apply: Send résumé, including work-related references via e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Qualified inquiries only.
Location: Mechanicsburg, PA. Located just outside of Harrisburg, PA.
Who We Are: We started our farm to develop regional top-quality 100% grass-fed beef to local families and restaurants. This means our team manages both cattle production — specifically grass finishing — and all aspects of a grass-fed beef business.
We are a growing, family owned business with just over 100 head of cattle.
We look forward to hearing from you.