IOC Agriculture Operations Manager
Reports To: Facilities Director
Manages and provides oversight, support and daily implementation for the operations and
activities of the Mercy Ships’ Texas based Farm.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (include but not limited to):
• Supervise, participate and facilitate daily activities of the farm, including livestock management and health, and land use, harvest schedule, plant health, etc.
• Generate sales of Grass-Fed meats and farm fresh eggs.
• Participate in the development of the farm, moving it towards Gods intentions, supporting the mission and vision of the organization.
• Provide input and guidance to various staff in regards to specific job related skills.
• Operate equipment including tractors, mowers, hay equipment etc. in safe and constructive manner
• Direct or assist with the adjustment and repair of farm equipment and machinery.
• Recruit and manage volunteer workers.
• Prepare budgets and perform financial analysis and set goals for the various farm enterprises.
• Make financial decisions within the scope of authority, referring questions to the Facilities Director.
• Cooperate and communicate with the facilities department regarding equipment usage and maintenance of those tools and equipment that overlap departments.
• Prepare reports regarding farm conditions, crop yields, machinery breakdowns, or labor problems
• Attend and participate in weekly departmental and community prayer, devotional, fellowship and worship times.
• Develop specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish your work. Estimate labor requirements for jobs, and plan work schedules accordingly.
• Other duties as assigned
Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities):
• Knowledge of techniques and equipment for planting, growing, and harvesting food products (both plant and animal) for consumption, including storage/handling techniques.
• Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
• Managing one’s own time and the time of others efficiently and effectively. Talking to others to convey information clearly.
• Motivating, developing, and directing people as they work, identifying the best people for the job.
• Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
• Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
• Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
• Ability to generate and maintain customer relationships and sales.
• Ability to perform many tasks related to animal husbandry.
• Ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving
the problem, only recognizing there is a problem. Ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
• Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, reports and office
memos. Ability to do basic math calculations. Ability to write reports and business correspondence.
• Ability to work in a physically demanding environment, in temperature of varying extremes.
• Ability to work with a variety of people, encompassing various cultures, ages and backgrounds.
• Support organization’s mission and vision. Adhere to Mercy Ships Code of Conduct.
• Follow the model of Jesus by Loving God; Loving and Serving Others; being a Person of Integrity and a Person of Excellence in all you say and do.
Education and Experience:
The requirements listed below are representative of the education and / or experience required.
• High School Diploma or equivalent required.
• Bachelor of Science Degree in an agriculture-related field preferred.
• Successful completion of a Mercy Ships approved entry-level training program.
• Four years of experience in farm/agriculture management and production preferred.
• Has Biblical perspective of agriculture, food production and land stewardship preferred.
For more information contact:
Current Agriculture Operations Manager