Dairy & Livestock Technician
Full-time, Seasonal (~20 Weeks)
About The Organization:
The Trustees is an organization with a fascinating past and an exciting future. Our places are open to all and we thrive by involving as many people as possible in what we do. Founded in 1891, by a group of visionary volunteers, we preserve, for public use and enjoyment, properties of exceptional scenic, historic, and ecological value in Massachusetts and work to protect special places across the state. We have helped protect more than 50,000 acres, including 25,000+ acres on 116 reservations that are all open to the public. We are a nonprofit conservation organization funded and supported entirely by our visitors, supporters, volunteers, and more than 50,000 members.
Founded in 1638, Appleton Farms is the oldest continuously operating farm in America. In 1998, the Appleton family donated the 1,000-acre farm to The Trustees of Reservations, a leading land conservation organization in Massachusetts. Now a flagship agricultural property for The Trustees, Appleton Farms is home to pasture-raised dairy and beef herds, a 650 share community-supported agriculture program, hundreds of acres of pastures and forest, and volunteer- and staff-led programs that educate the public about small scale, sustainable agriculture.
The Dairy and Livestock Technician (DLT) provides support for the grass-based Jersey and White Park dairy and beef operations at Appleton Farms, a 1000-acre farm in Ipswich, Massachusetts. In addition to the livestock operation and related grazing pastures, the farm features hayfields, woods, wetlands, and a Community Supported Agriculture operation with more than 20 acres of crop lands.
Responsibilities include assisting with the management of the dairy and beef herds, facilities, equipment, pastures and infrastructure. The DLT reports to the Dairy and Livestock Manager of Appleton Farms and works closely with other livestock program and farm staff. The position’s work schedule is variable, includes weekends and holidays, and is based on an average 5-5½ day work week.
- Conduct timely milking, feeding and care of the dairy herd.
- Conduct timely feeding, care and management of the beef herd, chicken flock, and any other livestock, as required.
- Operate and clean all dairy and beef program equipment and facilities.
- Help manage the grazing infrastructure including the pastures, water systems, travel lanes, and fencing.
- Assist in the maintenance of all livestock program buildings, equipment and facilities.
- Transport raw milk to a third-party milk processor and return and stock glass bottled milk to the farm for retail sales.
- Support production and sales of dairy products produced by the farm, as needed.
- Maintain a neat and clean appearance of the livestock program areas on the farm.
- Assist with herd health and treatment programs.
- Interact with volunteers and the general public, and participate in public programs, when necessary.
- Monitor animal well-being and report conditions as necessary.
- Provide assistance with hay production as needed.
- Understand and support the Trustees organizational policies strategic goals.
- Other duties as assigned with or without accommodation.
- A degree or certificate in a livestock educational program is desirable.
- At least two years of direct, hands-on experience in dairy and/or livestock management and care.
- Experienced in the use and maintenance of farm and dairy equipment.
- A positive attitude, willingness to be flexible and a commitment to achieving the goals of Appleton Farms is essential.
- Required to be or to become a licensed milk handler, certified by the state to handle and transport raw milk.
- Must be able to work a variable work schedule, which includes work on weekends and holidays.
- Must have valid driver’s license and pass a driving record check to drive Trustees vehicles.
- Position based on an average work week of 5-5½ days.
- Satisfactory criminal background check required.
Benefits and Salary:
The Trustees offers competitive compensation, as well as the opportunity to be part of a dedicated team across the Commonwealth who love the outdoors and the distinctive charms of New England, and who believe in celebrating and protecting our special places, for everyone, forever.
APPLY NOW – Dairy & Livestock Technician
Click here to see all job opportunities at The Trustees of Reservations
In addition to being an Equal Opportunity Employer, The Trustees of Reservations aim to create a thriving, inclusive workplace that values each member of our team. We aspire to reflect and effectively serve the residents and communities of Massachusetts who are at the core of our mission.