Outreach Manager Position Description
The Outreach Manager is a full-time salaried position (40 hours/week). The starting wage is $30,000. Benefits include vacation, sick, and personal leave. The Manager will be an employee of the NorthWest Initiative (NWI), a non-profit community development organization working to improve the quality of life in Lansing’s downtown/westside area.
More information about NWI can be found at www.nwlansing.org.
The principal goals of the project are to 1) help residents learn about community resources to assist their family; 2) help residents meet their immediate needs through human services education and referral, 3) learn about high priority resident/community issues, and 4) build community capacity to address the root causes of those issues.
The responsibilities of the Outreach Manager will include:
- Under the direction of the Executive Director, coordinate the Outreach Program, including door-to-door canvassing/surveying and follow-up activities
- The ability to learn as much as possible about human service resources in the greater Lansing area and help with disseminating that information to residents
- Provide basic information about community resources that match resident needs and interests
- Sign-up individuals to the Ingham Health Plan and connecting them to medical homes.
- Provide transportation for individuals to and from doctor’s appointments.
- Help residents enroll in human service programs, including health coverage and food stamps
- Coordinate staffing at community events (e.g., community meetings, health fairs, tax prep site, etc.) where residents can be readily engaged
- Develop and support issues-focused programming
- Coordinate relationships with key constituencies, including resident groups, neighborhoods, schools, faith communities, businesses, etc.
- Liaise with program partners, including human service agencies and other nonprofit organizations.
- Organize/mobilize constituencies to develop and implement community improvement strategies
- Mobilize residents around salient issues.
- Develop and implement a strategy for ongoing program monitoring, evaluation, and improvement
- Collaborate with other NWI programs on various activities and events!
- Responsible for completion of monthly and quarterly grant reports and bi-monthly newsletter articles
- Supervise staff, interns, and volunteers.
Minimum qualifications include:
- Bachelors Degree or higher from an accredited university
- Previous experience with grassroots outreach and/or canvassing
- A commitment to social justice and previous experience with community organizing and/or mobilization
- Previous experience managing programs and staff/volunteers
- Previous experience working with diverse populations
- Familiarity with the communities of northwest Lansing
- Familiarity with social services and programs in the greater Lansing area
- Strong organizational, communication, interpersonal, facilitation, and computer skills
- The ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- The ability to walk long distances several hours per day, a few days per week.
Candidates should send a cover letter and resume to Peggy Vaughn-Payne, Executive Director, NorthWest Initiative, 530 W. Ionia St., Suite D, Lansing, MI 48933; telephone: (517) 999-2894; fax: (517) 999-2897. In your cover letter, clearly explain how the position is related to your interests and future goals. Please do not hesitate to contact Mrs. Vaughn-Payne (517-999-2894) with questions. Please forward documents via email to email@example.com by Monday, May 28, 2012.
All qualified applicants shall receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, height, weight, marital status, sex, age, handicap, national origin, sexual orientation, or gender preference.