South Hamilton, Massachusetts
Job Opening: Field Manager for 2013 Season
Green Meadows Farm has an opening for a Field Manager capable of growing a wide array of produce on 10+ acres of certified, organically farmed, fertile and well-drained soil for our 400 member CSA and farm stand customers. This is a full-time seasonal position (March-December) with expectations of longer hours in the high-production season. The Field Manager directly reports to and collaborates with the Farm Manager on a daily basis.
- Assist in the development and implementation of annual farm plan to grow, harvest, and distribute vegetables, flowers and small fruit using organic methods.
- Recruit, hire, motivate, and train assistant manager and seasonal field crew.
- Ensure excellent record-keeping of farm production: farm plan, harvest records, fertilizer/pesticide application, soil tests, etc.
- Operate farm equipment including: two 50+hp tractors, Allis Chalmers G, JD High Crop, chisel plow, disc harrow, Perfecta, spader, rotary mower, and transplanter.
- Monitor, evaluate, and manage pest, disease, and weed pressures in fields.
- Maintain farm equipment, infrastructure, and systems including: tractors, tools, irrigation, greenhouses, wash station, refrigeration coolers etc.
- Minimum 2 years management experience on organic farms including experience on a farm of comparable size.
- Ability to maintain farm facilities and site.
- Experience in safe operation, maintenance, and repair of farm equipment.
- Ability to plan, delegate, and organize work tasks, working in collaboration with the Farm Manager.
- Knowledge of livestock management is helpful, but not necessary.
- Willing to work a flexible schedule, long hours when needed, and perform physical farm labor.
- Excellent communication skills and a good sense of humor is a must.
This is a full-time, seasonal position with a start date of February 15th, 2013. We offer a competitive salary dependent upon experience. The benefits package includes employer sponsored health insurance and paid vacation/sick leave.
To apply: please submit a cover letter describing your capabilities and experience, a resume of your farming experience, and three references we may contact to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for your interest!