Youth L.E.A.D. Youth Manager
Youth L.E.A.D. educates, empowers and employs underserved youth to adopt healthier diets while increasing access to healthy foods in their neighborhoods through gardens and farmers’ markets. For more information, please visit www.youthleadmiami.org.
Youth L.E.A.D. is seeking a dynamic, engaging, responsible, hardworking, self-motivated person to oversee all youth programming for the organization. The Youth Manager is responsible for: implementing the 12-week afterschool youth curriculum at 1-3 sites per year (training approximately 100 youth each year); coordinating out-of-school youth activities, field trips, guest speakers, and apprenticeships; acting as a liaison with parents and schools; supervising and engaging youth during community outreach, farmer’s markets, cooking and gardening efforts; and tracking and reporting on progress.
- Recruit 20-40 youth each summer to begin Fall Programming in September.
- Partner with existing and new youth-serving partners to deliver curriculum to additional youth each summer.
- Implement the 12-week afterschool curriculum from September through December (weekly 2-hour session) for at least 20 youth each week.
- Track attendance and youth retention rates.
- Coordinate guest speakers , field trips, and food demonstrations for afterschool program.
- Develop “Teen lounge” and youth drop-in center space and activities with youth input at new site (projected for mid 2013).
- Identify youth apprentices from among the training participants, based on behavior, attendance, and interest.
- Train (and/or coordinate training from outside parties) youth apprentices in community outreach, gardening, farmer’s market management, and cornerstore deliveries.
- Identify and train youth peer educators to conduct peer education workshops.
- Administer pre- and post-assessments and surveys among youth.
- Ensure youth participants’ parents sign parent permission and photo waiver form.
- Schedule and lead monthly parent meetings, which should always include an educational component (food demo or guest speaker)
- Follow up with youth as needed to address behavior issues or challenges to regular attendance as well as school performance and college/job applications.
- Take pictures of youth during programming and provide to Program Director for distribution through YL social media.
- Provide monthly reports as requested concerning youth attendance, retention, behavior, challenges, parental involvement, apprentice outreach efforts, etc.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Experience working with youth of African- or Caribbean-American backgrounds and youth from low-income neighborhoods
- Excellent public speaking and training skills
- Behavior management and/or mediation skills
- Knowledge of, and familiarity with, local food systems and food justice strategies
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word and Excel), Gmail, Facebook, Hootsuite, Twitter, and SurveyMonkey.
- Hardworker, ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment and meet deadlines
- Familiarity or experience working for nonprofit organizations
- Familiarity with YL target neighborhoods: Liberty City, Little Haiti, Overtown, and Opa Locka.
- Cooking and/or gardening skills preferred
- Haitian Kreyol fluency preferred
Youth L.E.A.D. Executive Director
Please send a resume AND a coverletter, outlining your experiences and why you believe you are a good fit for the job, via email to email@example.com with “Youth Manager” in the subject line. Candidates invited for an interview must be able to provide proof of college graduation and 3 professional references.