First Root Farm is small, diversified vegetable farm, growing on 2.5 acres of historic farmland in Minute Man National Historical Park in Concord, MA. We run a 100+ member summer CSA and a small winter CSA. We use organic and sustainable growing practices and cultivate a cooperative & joyful work atmosphere. We are looking for motivated, creative, dirt-loving people, enthusiastic about sustainable farming and community building, to join our farm team. This is a perfect position for someone with a bit of farm experience, looking to broaden their knowledge of whole farm systems.
This is a part time, seasonal position. The apprenticeship is 21 weeks, May 6th through September 27th. The workweek is Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday, 8am-5pm.
This apprenticeship is a great opportunity to learn about production farming by doing it. There are several educational opportunities built into the workweek and apprentices are encouraged to ask lots of questions. We love what we do and we love teaching new people about small-scale farming. We’re looking for apprentices who are eager to learn and excited to work hard and have a great time.
In potential applicants, we value: a sense of humor, willingness to problem solve and think critically, eagerness to get dirty in all weather, an aptitude for physically demanding work and a desire to work at increasing efficiency and effectiveness in farm tasks. One season of farming experience is preferred, but not required.
· Assisting the farmers in all aspects of vegetable production and fieldwork, including: greenhouse work, soil and field prep, tillage and cultivation, harvest, and CSA distribution.
· Interacting with the public, including CSA members and volunteers.
· Being an active, creative and enthusiastic member of a cooperative farm team.
· CRAFT (collaborative regional alliance for farmer training) farm visits to other local farms.
· Weekly farm field walks to discuss pest & disease control, weed ID, soil fertility, whole farm management, etc.
· Periodic learning lunches – researching & following up on questions that arise in the field.
· Packet including crop plan, seeding schedules, and other useful resources, as well as a weekly handout outlining the week’s work.
· $75/week stipend
· Lots of produce!
· Delicious farm lunch provided on workdays
Please visit our website (www.firstrootfarm.com) to read more about us.
To apply: Submit a resume, letter of interest, and 2-3 references who know you and your work style well to firstname.lastname@example.org. In your letter, please include past work experience, strengths and weaknesses, and why you think First Root is a good fit.