DeLaney Community Farm is a CSA operated by Denver Urban Gardens. DeLaney also offers courses in compost training, bee keeping, and various other workshops related to organic gardening and urban farming. The farm is located on historic farmland in Aurora with a preserved stream corridor, large cottonwood grove, and historic barns and houses on the premises, making it a wonderful place to educate children about wildlife and how natural cycles relate to the farm. The programs at the farm offer agrarian job and skills-building opportunities to young children, underserved youth, and other in-need individuals in the community. Shareholders come from a broad range of backgrounds.
DeLaney’s goals are to provide healthy, locally produced food for people of all socioeconomic levels and serve as an example of urban agriculture; use organic practices that protect our soil, water, air and wildlife; emphasize quality over quantity; and educate and reconnect people with the land that sustains them. Click here to learn more about DeLaney Community Farm.
Note: DeLaney will also be seeking one programs intern for the 2013 season. To receive notification when that opportunity is posted,click here.
We are looking for motivated seasonal interns with a passion for urban farming, community building, efficiency, and sustainability and a willingness to do hard work in all kinds of weather. Sustained energy and a love of physical labor are essential to the farm’s success. We look for applicants eager to learn about soil, plants and their production. This internship is an opportunity for hands-on learning, where a commitment to self-education is key.
Farm Interns will work with the Operations Coordinator on activities that include, but are not limited to:
- Seed or transplant and cultivate vegetables, herbs, flowers, and other crops using organic practices
- Harvest, clean, divide and distribute produce to shareholders
- Supervise youth, adult, and community workgroups and volunteers
- Provide educational tours
- Construct, maintain and repair irrigation systems
- Work on improving weed and pest control
- Operation of farm stand onsite and farmers’ markets offsite
- Competently perform farm operations by the end of the season
- Maintain enthusiasm about the work at the DeLaney Community Farm
- Ability to do outdoor, repetitive, sometimes tedious, physically demanding work
- Self-motivation, flexibility, creativity, attention to detail, and an awareness of personal and farm safety
- Knowledge of organic farming a plus, but not required with a good attitude and strong work ethic
- Willingness to collaborate with DUG staff, farm staff, other interns, shareholders and community groups
- High comfort level in diverse settings and diverse communities
- Organic agriculture training and education
- Working for an organization that benefits diverse communities.
- Free organic produce
- Stipend of $896 per month
- Note: No housing is offered or available with this internship
Timeframe and Hours: April 15th – October 30th; 28 hours per week; work hours can range from 6:00am to 7:00pm, with occasional evenings and Saturdays
Apply by March 1st, 2013: Please send one combined PDF of your resume, letter of interest, and three employer references to:
Denver Urban Gardens
Att: Faatma Merhmanesh
3377 Blake Street, Suite 113
Denver, CO 80205