Title: DeLano Farms CSA Crew
Supervisor: DeLano Farms Manager
Date Prepared: January 4, 2013
The Kalamazoo Nature Center is a not-for-profit organization whose mission is to inspire people to care for the environment by providing experiences that lead them to understand their connection to the natural world.
Summary of Position:
DeLano Farms is entering its third season of production at the Kalamazoo Nature Center, with a goal of feeding 300 CSA member families in 2013. Crew Farmers will work as a team under the leadership of the Farm Manager to run the day-to-day operations of DeLano Farms and its CSA, performing all tasks involved in vegetable production and CSA management.
The crew will be expected to attain proficiency in all basic farm skills and provide excellent customer service to CSA share holders and visitors to the Kalamazoo Nature Center. Available positions are seasonal, temporary, and full or part-time, with a variable weekly work schedule. Applicants must have a good attitude, with a willingness to be flexible and a commitment to achieving the goals of DeLano Farms while supporting the mission of Kalamazoo Nature Center as a whole.
Experience and Skills Required:
- Knowledge of organic or ecological vegetable production
- Strong work ethic
- Ability to work quickly, multi-task and be flexible on a daily basis
- Ability to maintain organized records
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work in and dress appropriately for all weather conditions
- Initiative and ability to prioritize and complete tasks without direct supervision
- Ability to cheerfully follow directions
- An inclination toward efficiency and problem solving
- Physical strength to perform repetitive, heavy and light manual labor
- Love and appreciation for beautiful produce and good food
- Desire to positively, actively contribute to a growing farm community
- Attain proficiency in all basic farm skills including composting, cultivating, harvesting, irrigating, washing and packing produce, seeding, transplanting, weeding, and other field chores as needed
- Provide excellent customer assistance and education at weekly CSA distributions
- Responsible use of equipment and facilities with a priority in safety
- Learn routine maintenance and perform it for all tools and equipment
- Assist with marketing of shares, through positive shareholder interactions
- Contribute ideas and submissions for the weekly CSA newsletter
- Work effectively and cooperatively with other KNC staff
- Complete special projects as assigned by the DeLano Farms Manager
To apply send resume, cover letter, three references, and availability to:
Rachel Beyer, Farm Manager firstname.lastname@example.org Fax: 269-381-2557
Or mail to: Kalamazoo Nature Center, Attn: Rachel Beyer, 7000 N. Westnedge Ave., Kalamazoo, MI 49009
For more information about the farm, visit: http://www.naturecenter.org/DeLanoFarms.aspx
Application Deadline: March 1, 2013
Because we value the strength diversity brings to the workplace, the Kalamazoo Nature Center is committed to the recruitment, retention, and development of a workforce that reflects the society in which we live. We encourage applications from candidates representing diverse backgrounds.
The Kalamazoo Nature Center is an equal opportunity organization that will not discriminate in its programs or hiring practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, ethnic origin, physical or mental disability, veteran status, height, weight, sexual orientation or gender identity, marital status, or political affiliation.