Upper Marlboro, Maryland
Farm Assistant Position Available
Radix Farm, located just 10 miles from Washington, DC, grows vegetables on three acres using organic practices and sells to a CSA, two farmers markets, and restaurants. Heading into our fourth season, Radix Farm is looking for a Farm Assistant who is excited about working together to take the farm to the next level.
The Farm Assistant will participate in all aspects of running a small, diversified vegetable farm. The Farm Assistant will work closely with farmer/owner throughout the season. This position offers the right candidate the opportunity to gain experience in decision making, managing, growing on a small scale, and building the skills necessary to start a farm.
This is a full-time, seasonal position. 40-50 hours per week (M-F, occasional Saturdays). Ideal start date is March. Position ends in November.
The Farm Assistant will assist with all areas of production from seed to sale, including field work and office work. Main responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
– Seeding, transplanting, weeding, mulching, trellising, pest and disease management, and building fertility
– Planning harvests, harvesting, and post-harvest management
– Farm record keeping
– Coordinating and leading volunteers/interns
– Communications and outreach to members and the public
– Assist with staffing the CSA pick-up and farmers markets
– Opportunity for independent projects
– Participation and input into whole farm management and infrastructure improvements
– 2-3 years farming experience
– Excellent communication skills and good attitude
– Strong work ethic, fast learner, and ability to anticipate and take initiative
– Experience selling at farmers markets or direct market sales
– Ability to work quickly and carefully, and motivate others to do the same
– Ability to work both independently and collaboratively
– Able to lift 50lbs, perform strenuous physical tasks, and work in all types of weather
– Experience with equipment, tractor implements, and building a plus
– Experience with scaling-up a farm enterprise a plus
– Driver’s license, clean driving record, ability to drive manual transmission
The Farm Assistant will receive on-farm housing, a monthly stipend, an abundance of fresh vegetables, and opportunities for additional training, education, and regional farm visits. Upon successful completion of the season, there may be opportunities for advancement next year.
How To Apply
Applicants should send a resume including previous farming experience and three references (at least one farm related reference) to firstname.lastname@example.org.