Title: Farm Animal Educator
Supervisor: Carrie Cohen, Farm Education Coordinator
Prepared By: Carrie Cohen
Date Prepared: 1/30/2013
The Kalamazoo Nature Center is a not-for-profit organization whose mission is to inspire people to care for the environment by providing experiences that lead them to understand their connection to the natural world.
Summary of Position:
The Farm Animal Educator is a seasonal, part-time (25 – 40 hours/week) position from Mid-April through Labor Day responsible for teaching programs for preschool, kindergarten and family audiences and caring for farm animals at the Kalamazoo Nature Center (KNC). This position provides excellent experience for individuals who are majoring in education, recreation or environmental studies. Farm Animal Educators work with professional educators and directors, will gain hands-on animal care experience, enjoy rich learning opportunities and gain a variety of teaching techniques and ideas. Credit may be available through a college or university. In addition to leading school and public programs, barnyard educators prepare teaching materials and contribute their own creative ideas to programs. We are hiring for 2 positions.
- Teach preschool and kindergarten classes visiting KNC’s barnyard
- Develop and present public programs for families
- Provide care (feeding, watering, grooming and clean-up) of animals
- Maintain animal care records
- Develop and maintain teaching materials
- Provide tractor-drawn wagon rides
- Supervise volunteers
- Complete special projects as assigned by the Farm Education Coordinator, or Education and Public Programs Directors
- Bachelor’s degree candidate or recipient in education, biology, environmental studies, agriculture or related fields preferred
- Experience working with early elementary and/or preschool children
- Comfortable with farm animals; some animal care experience preferred
- Enjoy working outside
- Competent in oral and written communication
- Able to take initiative and work independently
- Work individually and as a team member
- Commitment to the KNC mission
- Able to lift 50 lbs.
Because we value the strength diversity brings to the workplace, the Kalamazoo Nature Center is committed to the recruitment, retention, and development of a workforce that reflects the society in which we live. We encourage applications from candidates representing diverse backgrounds.
The Kalamazoo Nature Center is an equal opportunity organization that will not discriminate in its programs or hiring practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, ethnic origin, physical or mental disability, veteran status, height, weight, sexual orientation or gender identity, marital status, or political affiliation.
To apply: Submit resume, cover letter and 3 professional references
Send to: Carrie Cohen, Farm Education Coordinator
E-mail: email@example.com (preferred)
Postal address: Kalamazoo Nature Center
7000 N. Westnedge Avenue
Kalamazoo, MI 49009-6309
Phone: 269.381.1574 x 26
Application Deadline March 1, 2013