Title: Farm Education Intern
Supervisor: Farm Education Coordinator
Prepared By: Carrie Cohen, Farm Education Coordinator
Date Prepared: January 31, 2013
The Kalamazoo Nature Center is a not-for-profit organization whose mission is to inspire people to care for the environment by providing experiences that lead them to understand their connection to the natural world.
Summary of Position:
The Farm Education Intern is a seasonal, full time position from mid-May through middle of August. The intern will be working with professional educators while they teach programs for preschool, kindergarten, school-aged and family audiences at the Kalamazoo Nature Center, (KNC). Program topics are focused on farming, and benefits of healthy local food; includes working with our farm animals. This position offers field work in the educational garden, helping to maintain the space conducive for education. The Farm Education Intern will gain hands-on farming experience, enjoy rich learning opportunities and gain a variety of teaching techniques and ideas. The intern will also gain experience in taking care of our farm animals. In addition to assisting with school and public programs, CSA programs, and farm camp programs, the farm intern may prepare teaching materials and contribute their own creative ideas to programs. We are hiring for 1 position. This is an outdoor job that requires the ability to work in all natural conditions that do not threaten safety. The Farm Education Intern reports to the Farm Education Coordinator of the Kalamazoo Nature Center and works closely with all KNC staff.
- Creatively plan and assist OR lead garden, nature based, and healthy food programs at the educational garden and/or market barn.
- Assist with teaching preschool, kindergarten and school aged classes visiting DeLano Farms
- Develop and present public programs for families, CSA members, and campers
- Develop and maintain teaching materials
- Work with garden volunteers
- Complete special projects as assigned by the Farm Education Coordinator and Education Director.
- Work effectively and cooperatively with other KNC staff
- Must be 18+ years of age and able to work in adverse conditions such as heat, rain and wind performing strenuous manual labor.
- Ability to communicate effectively with the public: youth and adults.
- Willingness to learn basic gardening and farming skills
- Must have a good attitude, with a willingness to be flexible and a commitment to achieving the goals of the DeLano Farms while supporting the mission of the Kalamazoo Nature Center
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work independently and as part of a diverse team
- Creative and high energy
To apply: Submit resume, cover letter and 3 professional references
Send to: Carrie Cohen, Farm Education Coordinator
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org (preferred)
Postal address: Kalamazoo Nature Center
7000 N. Westnedge Avenue
Kalamazoo, MI 49009-6309
Phone: 269.381.1574 x 26
Application Deadline: March 1, 2013
Because we value the strength diversity brings to the workplace, the Kalamazoo Nature Center is committed to the recruitment, retention, and development of a workforce that reflects the society in which we live.
The Kalamazoo Nature Center is an equal opportunity organization that will not discriminate in its programs or hiring practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, ethnic origin, physical or mental disability, veteran status, height, weight, sexual orientation or gender identity, marital status, or political affiliation.