Land’s Sake Farm Stand Manager
Land’s Sake is seeking a skilled and enthusiastic Farm Stand Manager to join our team for the 2013 season. This is a new position, which represents a unique opportunity for the right person to impact public participation in local food systems.
About the position:
The Farm Stand Manager is responsible for the efficient and profitable management of the Farm Stand, Land’s Sake’s principal point of contact for farm supporters, educational program participants, and residents. Because the Land’s Sake farm stand also serves as an important point of contact with many people, this position is responsible for maintaining a positive image of Land’s Sake by using the farm stand to educate the public about the wide range of program offerings, as well as our history, mission, and values. For the person who is interested in a retail experience that is broader than simply sales, this is an exciting opportunity. The position is full time and seasonal, beginning in May as a part-time position and becoming full-time in June through the end of the stand season at the end of October.
About Land’s Sake:
Land’s Sake is a community-based organization focused on connecting people to the land through farming, forestry, and education. We grow vegetables on 25 acres of town-owned land in the heart of Weston, Massachusetts; we manage a 250 acre woodlot for the town of Weston using sustainable forestry practices; and we offer year-round education programs for adults and children that strengthen their understanding, appreciation, and stewardship of the land. Our farm team produces vegetable CSAs that serve over 250 families and over 9,000 lbs. of food for donation to charity each year. Our education team welcomes over 1,900 children per year for summer, afterschool, and field trip programs. We produce firewood, maple syrup, Christmas trees, and other forest products for sale in Weston and beyond. See more at www.landssake.org.
Essential functions of this position include:
· Manage the staff and daily operations of the Land’s Sake farm stand, including staff training, scheduling, and customer service.
· Oversee all farmstand operations, including managing vendor relationships, coordinating produce and inventory, cash management, and regular communication with farm manager, Executive Director, and accounting staff.
· Provide accurate and timely data on sales, costs, inventory, and other related income and expense, and manage operations on budget. Track appropriate data to understand sales trends and progress.
· Develop innovative, effective, and low-cost marketing approaches to increase overall sales, move specific products, even out weather and day-of-week effects, and increase customer retention.
· Provide welcoming, authoritative, and enthusiastic representation of the full range of Land’s Sake programs, events, and farm offerings. Actively promote and “sell” membership in Land’s Sake.
· Attend staff meetings, and perform other related duties as needed to support the stand operations or other Land’s Sake events.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
· Strong communication skills including the ability to provide excellent customer service, tactfully address customer complaints; and train, manage, and motivate employees.
· Retail experience in farm stand or other context, including familiarity with inventory control and management, handling and merchandising fresh produce, point-of-sale equipment, and operations.
· Knowledge of overall farm and business operations and the ability to assess future farm stand needs.
· Knowledge and experience in effective marketing and public relations.
· Ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions.
· Ability to use computer spreadsheets, word processing systems and electronic communications.
· Positive attitude, strong work ethic, absolute integrity, and sense of fun required!
A Bachelor or Associate degree in management, marketing, public relations, education or related field is preferred. An equivalent combination of education and experience that provides the skills, knowledge and abilities to perform the essential functions of the position may be substituted.Demonstrable previous work experience with fresh produce in a farm stand or similar retail operation is recommended.
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
Work is performed both indoors and outdoors (office environment and at the Farm Stand). Limited travel regionally may be required for meetings or to pick up inventory. Candidate should have a clean driving record, and must be able to lift, push, or pull up to 50 pounds repeatedly.
We welcome people with a broad range of applicable experience to apply for this position. Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and references to: email@example.com (please type “2013 farm stand manager” in subject line) or mail to: Farm Stand Manager, Land’s Sake, 27 Crescent Street, Weston, MA 02493.