EarthDance Farm and Garden Apprenticeship Coordinator
ORGANIZATIONAL MISSION: EarthDance sustainably grows food, farmers, and community, one small farm at a time, through hands-on education and delicious experiences.
POSITION: Americorps VISTA: Farm and Garden Apprenticeship Coordinator
LOCATION: 302 Thoroughman Ave, Ferguson, MO 63135
EarthDance is seeking a self-motivated, creative and resourceful individual with farming/ gardening experience, and a strong desire to assist beginner farmers and gardeners in gaining agricultural skills.
SUMMARY OF POSITION
The Farm and Garden Apprenticeship Coordinator position will serve to support the expansion and function of EarthDance during this period of growth. The Farm and Garden Apprenticeship Coordinator will build the capacity of the organization and the ability to serve more low-income individuals by increasing the effectiveness of EarthDance’s training program for aspiring farmers and gardeners; developing best practices to increase satisfaction with, and optimize learning during on-farm education; and developing assessment measures to track and report on the effectiveness of EarthDance’s classes and workshops for apprentices and members of the public.
The Farm and Garden Apprenticeship Coordinator will spend a significant amount of time (65%) on the farm. 35% of this position will be office-based, with time devoted to collaborating with other staff, researching strategies for curricular improvements, creating an Apprentice Resource Guide, revising EarthDance’s Apprenticeship Manual, and recording and responding to feedback concerning EarthDance programming.
1. Assist in developing farm educational tools and farm and garden curriculum
• Collaborate with EarthDance staff to develop methods to increase the effectiveness of EarthDance’s Farm and Garden Apprenticeship Program
• Test methods for optimizing overall satisfaction and educational value of the apprenticeship program
• Document best practices for on-farm education in EarthDance’s Apprenticeship Manual
2. Increase the effectiveness of EarthDance’s weekly classes
SKILLS, QUALIFICATIONS, & KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED
1. Experience working or volunteering on a farm
2. Experience working outdoors in adverse conditions (heat, humidity, insects, rain etc.)
3. Experience teaching, mentoring, or leading volunteers
4. Demonstrated time management and organization skills.
5. Ability to work effectively in a demanding, high-energy environment and manage multiple tasks and priorities, while maintaining a sense of humor
6. Experience working effectively as part of a team
7. Professional, friendly, and enthusiastic personality
8. Demonstrated ability to lead by example, with a strong work ethic, compassion and integrity
9. Proficiency with Windows Microsoft Office, Google Groups and Google Calendar
SKILLS, QUALIFICATIONS, & KNOWLEDGE DESIRED
1. Knowledge of agricultural and food system issues.
2. Educational or professional background utilizing research skills
3. Strong written communication skills
• Use of personal computer or laptop
• Reliable transportation or the ability to navigate the public transportation system
• Position may involve some travel.
• Position may evolve into regular salaried position with EarthDance upon fulfillment of Americorps service and responsibilities.
HOURS: This is a full-time position, requiring 40 hours/week.
COMPENSATION: VISTA Living Allowance. This is an Americorps VISTA position. Click here for more information on becoming an Americorps VISTA.
CONTACT: To apply for this position, you must send a resume and cover letter to:
Molly Rockamann, Executive Director, at email@example.com
Application via the Americorps website is also required. Apply online at: