SLUG Program Assistant
Boston Natural Areas Network (BNAN) is a 30-year old urban environmental non-profit working to preserve, protect and expand open space in Boston. Working collaboratively with community, public agencies and non-profits, BNAN combines the environment with cultural and social issues. BNAN offers a wide range of educational, recreational and cultural programs to build constituencies for Greenways, Community Gardens and Urban Wilds.
SLUG (Students Learning through Urban Gardening) trains students and teachers to grow vegetables from seed to harvest during the Boston Public School (BPS) season. SLUG components include growing indoors under lights, growing outdoors under protection, indoor worm bins and outdoor composting.
Program Assistant for Students Learning through Urban Gardening (SLUG)
- Assistant will coordinate the Students Learning through Urban Gardening (SLUG) program in the field, with support from the BNAN Garden Educator.
- Conduct bi-weekly site visits to SLUG schools. Lead garden and nutrition-based activities with support from BPS teachers and deliver relevant gardening materials.
- Maintain inventory of gardening materials and order new supplies as needed.
- Assist in developing and presenting BPS Garden Sessions, a tri-annual workshop series for BPS teachers. Participate in outreach and registration for BPS Garden Sessions.
- Start plants at City Natives Learning Garden for SLUG use.
- Maintain online resources for BPS teachers.
- Participate in bi-monthly project planning meetings with BNAN Garden Educator.
- Develop school gardening resource guides and curriculum as needed.
- Assist in evaluation of the SLUG program and student learning outcomes.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Experience as an educator with elementary school students, experience with special needs preferred.
- Proficiency with indoor grow lights, vermiculture and raised bed food gardening.
- Ability to work independently in an urban setting.
- Strong communication and computer skills required.
- Possess strong organizational skills, and contribute to a positive team environment.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills and commitment to the BNAN mission.
- Drivers license and ability to use personal vehicle (with reimbursement) required.
- Familiarity with Boston Public School system a plus.
- Background in adult education, nutrition and/or science education a plus.
- Spanish fluency a plus.
15-20 hours per week, ongoing position
How to Apply:
Please send the following: (a) one-page cover letter, (b) resume and (c) the names and telephone numbers of two references by e-mail to: email@example.com with the subject line “SLUG Program Assistant” or by mail to: Boston Natural Areas Network, 62 Summer St., Boston, MA 02110. Please include your first and last name in the subjects of the email attachments. No phone calls, please. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
BNAN is an equal opportunity employer, which encourages qualified applicants of all races, ethnicities, genders and sexual orientations.