Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts
Job Posting: Farmstand Manager
October 29, 2013
Allandale farm is currently seeking a Farmstand Manager for the 2014 season and beyond. We are a diversified vegetable farm and nursery on the Jamaica Plain/Brookline line. Our retail farmstand and garden center are located on the farm and feature our produce and plants in addition to other locally sourced goods. The store is open from mid-March until the end of December.
● 2-3 years retail management experience in the food/agriculture industry
● POS system management experience
● Demonstrated leadership and collaborative skills
● 50+ hours per week JuneSeptember; 40+ hours per week March-May and October-December. Dec 23rd-February flexible schedule to equal 20-30 hours per week.
● Responsible for all farmstand staff oversight, including hiring, training and scheduling
● Reports to General Manager
● Coordinates with other senior staff, including weekly management team meeting participation
● Point person for POS operation and maintenance
● Strong interest in and knowledge of local food
● Manages crops postharvest, including storage and display
● Responsible for purchase and display of all food items
● Identifies new products for sale in the farmstand and builds relationships with local food crafters
● Sources other local food crops as needed to supplement Allandale produce
● Prepares and executes budget, to include labor and inventory
● Event planning experience a plus
● Horticultural experience/knowledge a plus
● Spanish language proficiency a plus
● Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation required
● Competitive salary commensurate with experience, payable weekly, 52 weeks per year
● Three weeks paid flexible time, including personal/sick/vacation days. No more than one week to be used June-August. Week of Thanksgiving-Dec 23rd is a vacation blackout period.
● Eligible for annual bonus
● Medical benefits available after 90 days of employment
● Retirement plan after two years of employment
● Employee discount on all store items
All interested candidates should forward a cover letter, resume and three professional references to email@example.com. The deadline for all applications is November 18th. No telephone inquiries please.