The Trustees of Reservations
About the Job:
At Moraine Farm we are committed to training new farmers. The farm apprenticeship at Moraine Farm is both a working and a learning experience. Farm Apprentices are the core of our farm crew and work in all aspects of our farm operation.
We are looking for responsible, hard-working, enthusiastic apprentices to assist with all aspects of our 11-acre farming operation. Responsibilities include greenhouse work, field preparation, transplanting, tractor cultivation, and harvesting & preparing produce for our CSA, school, and community food security partners. We are a production farm and are constantly seeking ways to maximize production, increase efficiency and improve our land stewardship. Apprentices are expected to master use of our primary tillage and cultivating tractors. Apprentices work closely with the farm manager on all aspects of production. We are looking for individuals who are excited about sustainable farming and who are up to the challenge of the physically demanding schedule, tasks, and pace of the farm season.
Apprentices with at least one year of farming experience will be expected to take on special projects or management of a key area of production: greenhouse management, harvest management, or equipment maintenance. They also will be invited to participate in crop planning for the coming season. Third year apprentices will have the option of leading volunteer management at Moraine.
- Farm Apprentice positions start in April and end in November.
- Typical standard hours are Monday-Friday, 7:00 AM – 5:30 PM and Saturday, 8:00 AM – 1:00 PM
- Farm Apprentices share additional rotating weekend responsibilities
- CSA hours continue into the evening several nights a week – Apprentices share evening coverage and close the CSA
- The Farm Apprentice must have a valid driver’s license, as well as a satisfactory driving record as outlined in our driving policy
· Ability to handle physically strenuous, repetitious tasks in all weather
· Ability to work quickly in a fast paced work environment
· Good communication skills, sense of humor, upbeat attitude
· Mechanized farming experience required
· Demonstrated interest in sustainable agriculture
Wage & Benefits:
The Farm Apprentice is eligible to participate in the medical insurance benefit and the 401(k) retirement savings plan benefit offered by The Trustees. Pay is hourly.
In addition, the Farm Apprentice position enjoys several other benefits, including:
- Optional on-farm housing is available
- Weekly CSA share plus additional produce that can be stored for winter
- Access to planning software, documents and records, farmer’s library, farm safety training, and tractor operation and maintenance training
- Participation in eastern Mass CRAFT program
- Up to three working visits to area farms
- Weekly discussions, field walks, or other educationally focused experiences that complement the hands-on learning work experience
- 1 year membership to The Trustees of Reservations, which allows discounted or free access to all Trustees properties, including nearby Crane Beach
How to Apply:
In addition to being an Equal Opportunity Employer, The Trustees of Reservations aim to create a thriving, inclusive workplace that values each member of our team. We aspire to reflect and effectively serve the residents and communities of Massachusetts who are at the core of our mission.
Interested candidates should send a letter of interest and resume to:
Gretta Anderson, Farm Manager
No phone calls please.
About the Company:
Founded in 1891, The Trustees of Reservations preserve, for public use and enjoyment, properties of exceptional scenic, historic, and ecological value in Massachusetts and work to protect special places across the state. We have helped protect more than 50,000 acres, including 25,000+ acres on more than 100 reservations that are all open to the public. We are a nonprofit conservation organization funded and supported entirely by our visitors, supporters, volunteers, and more than 40,000 members.