Title: Advanced Apprentice/Education Coordinator
Colchester Farm Community Supported Agriculture (CFCSA) is a nonprofit, small-scale farm that grows fresh local produce for shareholders and community members, and offers apprenticeships and education programs. The CSA promotes an alternative model of farming that strengthens the relationship between farmers, community members, food, and the land. The Farm has approximately 160 shareholders. The operations are carried out by one full-time manager, an advanced apprentice, three full–season apprentices, one summer-season apprentice, volunteers, and work share participants.
Colchester Farm seeks to hire an Advanced Apprentice/Education Coordinator for a full-time, year-round position. The Advanced Apprentice/Education Coordinator will be involved with the general administrative duties and operation of the farm but will have the additional responsibility of coordinating education programs and assisting with the farm’s marketing and outreach efforts. The primary responsibilities of these three main categories are:
General Farm Operations and Administrative Duties:
- Participate in the production, harvesting, distribution and marketing of crops including: soil preparation, planting, cultivation, transplant production, high tunnel management, irrigation, harvesting, and distribution through CSA pickups and farmers’ markets.
- Assist in the maintenance of CSA buildings, vehicles and equipment
- Help supervise and train seasonal apprentices, work shares and volunteers
- Assist in researching farming methods, pricing, equipment, etc.
- Assist in record-keeping
- Assist in grant-writing
- Assist in marketing and shareholder relations
- Assist with CSA events and fundraisers
- Develop materials/activities for tabling and conference events
- Work with partner organizations to increase on-farm programming
- Host visitors and tours as needed
- Research and cultivate viable outreach opportunities
- Coordinate work share program and volunteers.
- Coordinate and assist with cooking/preservation classes
- Coordinate and guide educational tours with schools and camps
- Coordinate and implement on-farm field days or twilight workshops on farm practices
- Oversee and coordinate high school community service projects
- Work with the Education Committee to plan a sustainable and continuous education program
- Lead the educational portion of the seasonal apprentice program
- Bachelor’s degree
- Experience teaching and coordinating programs
- At least one year of sustainable vegetable crop production
- Ability to supervise and manage volunteers/interns
- Ability to communicate effectively with the public
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Good writing skills and computer proficiency
- Must have a good attitude, with a willingness to be flexible and a commitment to achieving the goals of Colchester Farm CSA
- Strong organizational skills; detail-oriented
- Able to work in all weather conditions
- Physically fit and able to lift 50 pounds
Term of Employment: Year-round with 10 days vacation per year. Some tasks may require weekend work in addition to regular farm work hours. We are looking for a commitment of one year with the potential to stay on for a longer term.
Salary and Benefits: $12,000 for the year. On-site housing in CSA staff house and farm produce is provided.
To Apply: Please email a cover letter, resume, and references to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Anticipated start date in early 2014.