Upper Marlboro, Maryland
Farm Assistant Position Available
Radix Farm, located just 10 miles from Washington, DC, grows vegetables on three acres using organic practices and sells to a CSA, two farmers markets, and restaurants. Heading into our fifth season, Radix Farm is looking for a Farm Assistant who is excited about working together to take the farm to the next level.
The Farm Assistant will participate in all aspects of running a small, diversified vegetable farm and work closely with farmer/owner throughout the season. This position offers the right candidate the opportunity to gain experience in growing on a small scale and building the skills necessary to manage or start a farm.
The position is full-time, seasonal, 40-55 hours per week (M-F) plus some weekends. Ideal start date is in March. Position ends in November.
The Farm Assistant will assist with all areas of production from seed to sale.
Main responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
– Seeding, transplanting, weeding, mulching, pest and disease management
– Managing soil fertility and foliar feeding
– Manage high tunnel
– Planning harvests, harvesting, and post-harvest management
– Farm record keeping
– Coordinating and leading volunteers/interns
– Communications and outreach to members and the public
– Attend CSA pick-up and farmers markets
– Opportunity for independent projects
– 2-3 years farming experience minimum
– Experience with and passion for small-scale, low-input, sustainable vegetable production
– Excellent communication skills and good attitude
– Strong work ethic, fast learner, and ability to anticipate and take initiative
– Experience selling at farmers markets or direct market sales
– Ability to work quickly and carefully, and motivate others to do the same
– Ability to work both independently and collaboratively
– Able to lift 50lbs, perform strenuous physical tasks, and work in all types of weather
– Driver’s license, clean driving record, ability to drive manual transmission
– Experience with equipment, tractor implements, and building a plus
– Experience leading crews or farm management a plus
The Farm Assistant will receive on-farm housing, a bi-weekly pay based on experience, an abundance of fresh vegetables, and opportunities for additional training, education, and regional farm visits. There may be opportunities for advancement and end of season bonus.
How To Apply
Applicants should send a resume including previous farming experience and three references (at least one farm related reference) to email@example.com.