Peterborough, New Hampshire
School Garden Teacher
Executive Summary: The Cornucopia Project plants the seeds for a lifetime of healthy eating by teaching children, youth and adults the joys of growing food in school and community-based gardens.
The School Garden Teacher (SGT) is responsible for teaching Cornucopia’s elementary grade schoolbased garden education program in the Contoocook Valley School District in the Monadnock Region of New Hampshire. This is a salaried position that reports to the Co-Director for School Programs. The position is based at our office in Peterborough, NH.
- Teaches full time for 26 weeks which includes 7 weeks of programming (each spring and fall) of developmentally-appropriate garden-based curriculum to 1st and 2nd graders in 8 Contoocook Valley District elementary schools. The program extends into 3 rd to 5th grades in two of the schools, reaching a total of more than 400 children. There is a potential for additional employment during the summer.
- Cultivates a strong collaboration with classroom teachers to highlight and enhance existing academic curriculum, and engages students and encourages participation in every step of the ‘seed to table’ process.
- Responsible for executing program evaluation and assessment including student, teacher and parent surveys.
- Monitor, document and report on all school-based activities including the collection of relevant anecdotal and photographic accounts.
- Certified teacher (NH or New England) with at least 2 to 3 years experience teaching elementary school.
- Knowledge in agricultural-based curriculum and skills in small-scale organic food production or home gardening, and interest in related science, health and food topics preferred.
- Strong interpersonal skills and positive and collaborative attitude.
- Self directed with outstanding time management and organizational skills.
- Excellent writing, communication and presentation skills.
- Strong attention to detail and the ability to manage a variety of tasks and assignments.
- Computer skills: adept at MS Office (Word, Excel and PPT) and social media a plus.
- Must provide your own transportation among schools in the ConVal District and have offsite access to phone, email and internet.
Compensation: Competitive salary commensurate with education experience and includes a benefit package.
- Submit cover letter and resume (MSWord or PDF format) and three current reference contacts, noting “School Garden Teacher” in subject line to: email@example.com.
- Application deadline is Friday, March 14, 2014. Start date early April.
Visit website at http://www.cornucopiaproject.org.