Saunderstown, Rhode Island
Farm worker(s) for 2014 season: Robin Hollow Farm
About the Farm:
Robin Hollow Farm is a fast-paced, diverse flower farm. The farm uses sustainable and/or organic methods on about five acres in Saunderstown, RI. We grow in the field, in high tunnels and utilize three heated greenhouses. We produce a wide variety of cut flowers and plants for three farmers’ markets, on-farm sales and weddings & events. We also do floral design for events.
Our family farm is highly successful, with well developed systems for all aspects of production. We focus on being very efficient while maintaining a high quality product. The opportunity to learn the skills to run your own farm is available to motivated employees. Cut flowers are a complex and exciting niche for a small-scale farm.
Farm Worker Duties:
• Assist with greenhouse production, including scouting for pests and diseases, propagation and watering.
• Harvest crops, using proper harvest systems and post-harvest treatments and labeling.
• Assist with weed and disease management, transplanting, tunnel and field work.
• Operate tractors, delivery vans and other equipment as needed, based on experience.
• Assist at farmers’ markets, on-farm sales, or wedding flower set-up as needed.
• Assist with cooler management, farmers’ market set up (bouquet making, etc.) or event preparations as needed.
• Positive attitude, enjoying good communication with customers and volunteers.
• Punctual and reliable.
• Able to work independently and in groups of workers.
• Able and willing to work full days of physically demanding tasks. These may be repetitive and strenuous, with occasional heavy lifting (up to 50lbs) and bending, kneeling, etc.
• Able to and interested in working efficiently and quickly.
• Experience with farming or horticulture work is preferred but not required.
• Inquisitive minds are strongly encouraged.
Work period and Compensation:
Mid April thru November, 2013. Tuesday-Saturday for the majority of the season, with slightly less for the ends of the season. Hourly wage based on experience. Bonus based on performance and farm productivity. Farm produce (veg, herbs, fruit, flowers) provided in season.
Mike Hutchison: email@example.com
Please include a resume and a cover letter stating why you’d like to work with us.