Summer Farm Associate
The Summer Farm Associate works closely with the Farm Manager to manage Sterling’s diversified livestock operation and provide educational opportunities for students in the Summer Agriculture Program. The Associate will lead student work crews most days of the week. Projects may include animal movement, fencing, composting, pasture management, light construction, and other tasks as assigned. Preference will be given to applicants with livestock farming experience and a background in education. There may be some college vehicle (truck, van, tractor, etc.) use in which the Associate will need to follow and abide by the college vehicle policies.
The Farm Associate will be one of three Summer Ag Associates this summer, along with Garden and Draft Horse Associates. All three associates will work with the Farm, Garden, and Draft Horse managers to manage the farm as a whole. While the Farm Associate should focus on livestock, expect to help in all areas of the farm as the need arises.
- May 5 – August 24, 2014
- Position is 40 hrs/week for 15 weeks, plus one week off
- Some weekend work required, with a schedule to be determined by farm needs.
- $120 weekly stipend for 15 weeks.
- Single room in a Sterling residence hall.
- During the summer program, meals in the Sterling dining hall (made with as much much Sterling/VT-grown food as possible)
- Summer program runs 8 weeks from May 27 – July 19.
- When classes are not in session, associates will have access to kitchen facilities and garden produce as it becomes available.
- Practical experience in livestock management, including animal handling, health, fencing, grazing, and processing.
- Professional development in instructional skills and program facilitation. Leadership training the week of May 19.
Jennifer Payne, Dean of Work firstname.lastname@example.org