Apple Seeds School Garden Coordinator
AmeriCorps Vista position
Apple Seeds, a Fayetteville-based non-profit providing garden-based education, seeks an entrepreneurial and enthusiastic full-time School Garden Coordinator. The School Garden Coordinator will work with the Program Director to help build sustainable organizational capacity for school gardens. This position offers the right person ample opportunities to be involved in a leadership role as the program grows.
This person must be a self-starter who is excited to help grow this social-entrepreneurial non-profit.
• Recruit and build school garden support network
• Build self-sustaining system in school for the garden
• Engage and train teachers in garden education
• Recruit and coordinate volunteers to maintain garden
• Conduct outreach by speaking in schools
• Develop and maintain database
• Create infrastructure for school garden clubs
• Knowledge of organic gardening highly desirable.
• Works well with many personality types
• Self-motivated, hard worker, able to work and meet goals independently
• Teaching experience or experience working with primary and middle school aged children
• Excellent time-management skills
• Strong oral communication skills
• Enjoys being around children and has a friendly demeanor
• Able to organize, lead, and instruct all types of people with varying levels of gardening experience
• Full time – 40 hours/week
Start Date: July 21, 2014
Volunteers in Service to America (VISTA)
This is a “Volunteers in Service to America” (VISTA) position, funded by the Corporation for National and Community Service for up to three years. In return for each year of full-time service, the person filling this position will receive a modest living allowance (approx. $878 per month), health-care benefits, child-care assistance, and a $5,550 Education Award or $1,200 post-service stipend.
To qualify for a VISTA position, candidates must be a U.S. citizen, U.S. National, or lawful permanent resident, and at least 18 years of age. Candidates must be available to serve full-time for at least one year, and cannot hold another job or take educational courses while serving. The VISTA application process also requires a criminal history background check to ensure community members with whom we work are protected.
For more information about the VISTA program, visit http://www.americorps.gov
Interested candidates should email a letter of interest, resume, and references to email@example.com. Please no calls.
Supervision and Work Space:
Since Apple Seeds has no office space to date, the School Garden Coordinator will be expected to provide their own basic office equipment of phone and a computer with email capabilities. The School Garden Coordinator will be supervised by the Program Director. We expect the school garden coordinator to be self-motivated and able to work unsupervised on a daily basis.
About Apple Seeds
Apple Seeds is a non-profit that has been serving Northwest Arkansas for nearly ten years. Apple Seeds provides a variety of programs, including gardening clubs, healthy cooking classes, field trips to farms and farmers markets, and school garden farmers markets. Apple Seeds’ mission is to inspire healthy living through garden-based education. Thanks in large part to its Farm to School partnership with the Fayetteville Public Schools Apple Seeds will have reached nearly 6,000 students by the end of 2014. For more information visit http://www.appleseedsnwa.org