Overview: The Southern Boone Learning Gardens VISTA positions are a component of the Missouri Local Food Production and Education VISTA Project, which helps nonprofits improve lives through local food. The two VISTA positions outlined below are based in Ashland, MO.
Communications VISTA Member duties:
- Develop Southern Boone Learning Garden (SBLG) brochures, newsletters, calendars, websites, and materials for social media outlets.
- Manage databases for volunteers, donors, and wish lists for SBLG.
- Develop curriculum and evaluations for school groups, after-school clubs, and community workshops.
- Recruit, train, and lead volunteers.
- Develop sustainable fundraising practices for SBLG.
Application Deadline: 6/30/2014 Start Date: 7/15/2014
Activity VISTA Member duties:
- Design, schedule, teach, and evaluate Southern Boone Learning Garden (SBLG) classes alongside district teachers and volunteers.
- Develop garden-based curriculum, lesson plans, and activities for higher grade levels.
- Develop manuals, guide books, and other teacher resources.
- Write grants and raise funds for SBLG.
- Establish and maintain partnerships with other nonprofit community organizations.
Application Deadline: 6/30/2014 Start Date: 7/18/2014
Benefits and conditions: An AmeriCorps VISTA position is not a standard job, but rather a year of service. VISTA members are not allowed to have a second job, but they are allowed to attend classes if they receive permission from their supervisor. Benefits include:
- Living allowance ($11,136 per year, taxable income, paid every two weeks).
- Choice of Education Award ($5,550 to be used for student loans or future education expenses), or End of Service Stipend ($1,200 cash).
- Health Coverage
- Relocation Allowance ($500 for arrival, duplicate amount for departure)
- Childcare assistance (if eligible)
To apply: Go to https://my.americorps.gov/mp/login.do, create a login name and password, fill out an application, and submit the application to one or both Southern Boone Learning Gardens VISTA positions (listed under ID numbers 48192 and 43114). Or send your resume and cover letter to:
Steve Johnson: MRCN Executive Director
200 Old 63 South; Ste. 203
Columbia, MO, 65201