Columbia Farmer’s Market Local Food VISTA
Overview: The Columbia Farmers Market (CFM) began in 1980 and is now one of the largest markets in Missouri, hosting up to 80 vendors at the height of the season. In addition to the market’s regular commerce, CFM also provides educational programs and helps low-income families obtain local food. The Access to Healthy Foods program allows families with children under the age of 10 receiving food stamp benefits to double up to $25 per week to spend at market. The Missouri River Communities Network will recruit candidates for the Columbia Farmers Market Local Food VISTA position.
Application deadline: 6/27/2014 Start date: 8/16/2014
Duties: The Columbia Farmers Market Local Food VISTA position is not a standard job, but rather a year of service. This position is full-time. The VISTA member will:
- Help organize and manage regular the weekly Columbia Farmers Market (CFM)
- Update and improve CFM’s website, as well as its social media presence
- Expand CFM’s education programs for youth and adults
- Strengthen CFM’s volunteer system
- Develop cooking programs that feature locally-produced food
- Help direct established and/or new fundraisers to support CFM and its Access to Healthy Foods program
Benefits: AmeriCorps VISTAs receive a stipend and benefits, including:
- Living allowance ($11,136/year, taxable income, paid every two weeks).
- Choice of Education Award ($5,550 to be used for student loans or future education expenses), or End of Service Stipend ($1,200 cash). Education Award is transferable to VISTA’s children or grandchildren.
- Limited health coverage
- Relocation Allowance ($500 for arrival, $500 for departure)
- Childcare assistance (if eligible)
Conditions: VISTA members are not allowed to have a second job, but they are allowed to attend classes if they receive permission from their supervisor. Housing is not provided, although the Missouri River Communities Network can provide references for those seeking accommodations.
To apply: Go to https://my.americorps.gov/mp/login.do, create a login name and password, fill out an application, and submit the application to the Columbia Farmer’s Market Local Food VISTA position (search for VISTA positions in MO. Position listed under ID number 50607).
Or send your resume and cover letter to:
Missouri River Communities Network
200 Old 63 South; Ste. 203
Columbia, MO, 65201-6081
For more information on this and other positions, visit www.moriver.org/prospective-vistas/