Missouri Local Food Public Relations VISTA
Overview: The Missouri River Communities Network (MRCN) enhances stewardship of the Missouri River watershed through clean water activities and also by supporting sustainable agriculture. In 2011 MRCN created the Missouri Local Food Project, which connects nonprofits across mid-Missouri with AmeriCorps members. Together, these nonprofits and their new AmeriCorps members improve the lives of students and low-income residents through local food. The Public Relations VISTA member will work directly for MRCN to promote and coordinate Missouri Local Food Project activities.
Application deadline: 6/27/2014 Start date: 8/16/2014
Duties: The MRCN Public Relations VISTA position is not a standard job, but rather a year of service. This position is full-time. The VISTA member will:
- Recruit, train, and lead volunteers
- Update and/or reorganize MRCN’s website
- Create and publish at least six newsletters per year
- Research and write grants
- Design brochures and/or information booklets
- Prepare and perform interviews for television, radio, and newspaper outlets
- Help organize public events, volunteer workshops, fundraising efforts, board meetings, ect.
- Develop and publish short video pieces for web promotion
Benefits and conditions: AmeriCorps VISTAs receive a stipend and benefits, including:
- Living allowance ($11,136/year, taxable income, paid every two weeks).
- Choice of Education Award ($5,550 to be used for student loans or future education expenses), or End of Service Stipend ($1,200 cash). Education Award is transferrable to VISTA’s children or grandchildren.
- Health Coverage
- Relocation Allowance ($500 for arrival, duplicated for departure)
- Childcare assistance (if eligible)
Conditions: VISTA members are not allowed to have a second job, but they are allowed to attend classes if they receive permission from their supervisor. Housing is not provided, although the Missouri River Communities Network can provide recommendations for those seeking accommodations.
To apply: Go to https://my.americorps.gov/mp/login.do, create a login name and password, fill out an application, and submit the application to the Missouri Local Food Project Public Relations VISTA position (search for VISTA positions in MO. Position listed under ID number 43129).
Or send your resume and cover letter to:
Missouri River Communities Network
200 Old 63 South; Ste. 203
Columbia, MO, 65201-6081
For more information on this and other positions, visit www.moriver.org/prospective-vistas/