Southern Boone Learning Gardens Communications AmeriCorps
Overview: The Southern Boone Learning Garden (SBLG) engages the Southern Boone community in healthy eating, active living, and environmental stewardship. The Communications AmeriCorps will work with SBLG as part of the Local Food AmeriCorps Project, administered by the Missouri River Communities Network. This project helps non-profits, small businesses, individuals, and others improve lives through local food. The AmeriCorps position outlined below will be based in Ashland, MO.
Application deadline: 7/21/2014 Start date: 8/1/2014
Duties: The Southern Boone Learning Gardens Communications AmeriCorps position is not a standard job, but rather a year of service. This position is full-time. The AmeriCorps member will:
- Provide community outreach by developing brochures, newsletters, calendars, websites, and material for social media outlets.
- Teach outdoor education classes for students of all ages.
- Manage databases for SBLG. Update all data for volunteers, donors, and SBLG’s wish list.
- Develop curriculum and evaluations for visitors to the Learning Garden such as school groups, after-school clubs, and community workshops.
- Recruit volunteers.
- Represent SBLG at meetings, conferences, and workshops with multiple organizations.
- Design, implement, and evaluate guides for teachers using the Learning Gardens.
Benefits and conditions: The position is 1,700 hours per year. AmeriCorps members are responsible for obtaining their own housing (assistance in house searches can be requested through the Missouri River Communities Network). AmeriCorps members receive a stipend and benefits, including:
- Living allowance ($12,100/year, taxable income, paid every two weeks).
- Education Award ($5,645 to be used for student loans or future education expenses, transferable to AmeriCorps member’s children or grandchildren).
- Limited health coverage
- Relocation Allowance ($500 for arrival, duplicated for departure)
- Childcare assistance (if eligible)
To apply: Go to https://my.americorps.gov/mp/login.do, create a login name and password, fill out an application, and submit the application to the Southern Boone Learning Gardens Communications AmeriCorps position (search for AmeriCorps positions in MO).
Or send your resume and cover letter to:
Missouri River Communities Network
200 Old 63 South; Ste. 203
Columbia, MO, 65201-6081
For more information on this and other positions, visit www.moriver.org/prospective-vistas/