Red Fire Farm, located in Granby and Montague, Massachusetts, is seeking an experienced flower grower to provide CSA flower shares and bouquets for our farm stands. At Red Fire Farm, we’ve been growing with certified organic practices since we started in 2001. The farm produces a wide variety of vegetables, flowers and fruit on 100 acres. We deliver CSA shares to 1600 member families across the state and sell at farmers markets, our two farm stands and to wholesale customers throughout the region.
As the Flower Grower, you will be harvesting flowers and arranging bouquets for our CSA members, our farm stands and market, and some flower arranging for special events. You will oversee and participate in the creation of about 300 bouquets or more a week in the peak season – sending these organically-grown flowers to CSA members, local stores and restaurants, our own stands and markets, and individuals with celebrations.
The work here is hard but fulfilling. We’re committed to an extremely high quality product and we take a lot of pride in what we do. Some of the perks of working at Red Fire include fresh, in-season produce, a warm and friendly crew, and opportunities for year-round farm work.
The flower department at the farm has lots of potential for growth, and could thrive with the right leader in this position. Areas of possible growth include flowers for special events, extended season flowers, and an expanded wholesale market. If you are interested in growing the flower business at the farm, we are open to developing it further with you over future years.
- Develop growing plan for flowers (if you’re available in the early winter)
- Order materials, seed stock, and make sure they are organized and stocked
- Seed flower starts and manage greenhouse care
- Arrange transplanting plans, field preparation, and cultivation with production team
- Care for flower fields for optimal harvestable blooms
- Harvest flowers, manage crews and prepare bouquets for scheduled deliveries
- Maintain flower arranging area in organized and clean state
- Work with special events customers for special orders
- Plan and communicate with farmers’ market staff, management, marketing, and the wholesale team to make the most of flower sales in each of our market areas
- Knowledge of flower varieties, growing needs, and harvesting and pack techniques
- Sense of design and color for arranging
- Proven experience planning flower crops
- Ability to coordinate a small team (1-3 people) and train new tasks
- Good written and verbal communication with customers
- Excellent organizational skills and self motivation
- Must be able to commit to working here for at least one full growing season
Compensation based on experience. Please send resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org and include with your application photos of previous flower arrangements you have done, and examples of planning documents you have created for another farming position. Rolling applications – position open until filled.