Full-Time Organic Farm Crew Lead
Employment Dates: Seasonal March-November
Edible Earth Farm is a small USDA certified organic farm located along the Allegheny River and beside the Allegheny National Forest in Tionesta, Pennsylvania. Edible Earth Farm manages a 250+ member CSA program, participates in local farmer’s markets and supplies regional restaurants, grocery stores and institutional kitchens. In addition to growing certified organic vegetables, fruit, mushrooms and ginger, the farm also raises poultry and hogs.
The Crew Lead will work under and collaborate with the Farm Managers to ensure the daily functioning of the farm. The Crew Lead will direct and mentor other staff by providing guidance and clear instruction. The Crew Lead will follow weekly farm schedules and directives. They will work with the Farm Managers and Field Specialist to identify needs and allocate human resources to meet those needs. The Crew Lead will keep a constant “to do” list based on meetings with Farm Managers and Field Specialist. The position requires flexibility and adaptability as weather and other factors can often affect the daily plan. The Crew Lead will monitor team morale and maintain a positive work environment.
Lead harvest crew 2-3 days a week
- Lead field crews 2-3 days a week
- Manage high tunnel production
- Participate in chicken processing
- Participate in grounds maintenance
- Work with Farm Manager and Field Specialist to turn over fields and beds
- Manage soil fertility
- Manage field cleanup and cover crops
- Conduct semi-weekly field scouting and complete field reports
- Oversee the implementation of work directives
- Setup and maintain irrigation
- Oversee the collection of crop and field data
- Manage a large number of field crops
- Oversee tomato grafting
Two years minimum full season organic farm experience required.
- Proven leadership and management skills
- Proven tractor experience
- Automobile for transportation between work sites
- Have a positive, enthusiastic, and supportive attitude
- Be able to follow directions and take criticism
- Be flexible and adaptable
- Display excellent leadership and management skills
- Be able to clearly articulate performance-related expectations
- Be able to motivate others
- Be a collaborative part of a team and be supportive of other team members
- Display a good understanding of quality and work to ensure that high quality standards are met
- Be able to maintain a clean, safe and organized work environment
- Have the ability to work with minimal instruction or assistance
- Display gratitude
Full-time hours are 45-55 hours a week over a 5-day workweek.
Performance reviews will be conducted a minimum of three times throughout the season. Non-smoking work environment. Cell phone use is not permitted during workday, except during lunch breaks. No pets permitted in provided housing.
Please send letter of interest and resume via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Must be prepared to provide 3 work references (not a relative), if you are to be hired.
Salary + housing + fresh, organic food + 5-day workweek + educational opportunities