Director of Education
A pioneer in sustainable agriculture since the 1960s, Wolfe’s Neck Farm Foundation (WNFF) is a Freeport-based nonprofit agricultural campus close to the greater Portland metro area, set on 626-acres of incredible beauty, consisting of a unique mix of ecological systems: forest, marsh, pasture lands and four miles of coastline. Our programs focus on connecting people all ages with sustainable agriculture. Thousands of people are attracted annually to the farm for programs and events where they learn about sustainable farming, gain a greater understanding of where their food comes from and how they can be more active participants in the food system.
Wolfe’s Neck Farm Foundation believes strongly in the power of experiential education, and uses our special campus to bring people of all ages to the farm for immersive and powerful hands-on learning experiences. WNFF is seeking a visionary, energetic, entrepreneurial, organized and charismatic education leader who will guide the organization’s farm-based education programming through a period of significant growth, and leadthe organization to become a nationally recognized innovator and leader in experiential, farm-based education.
The Director of Education (DoE) will play a key role on the Foundation’s senior leadership team, will report directly to the Foundation’s Executive Director and will collaborate closely with Foundation Staff as well as with the Board of Directors to provide inspirational and strategic direction to all Education programming at Wolfe’s Neck Farm. The DoE will connect with other agriculture and education related partners and organizations throughout the region to design, promote and execute programs for a range of age groups that teach all aspects of sustainable agriculture; all the while supporting a stronger local and regional food system. The DoE will be responsible for identifying, designing and successfully launching a range of new, innovative educational offerings aligned with the Foundation’s mission, in addition to strengthening the focus and implementation of current programming. This is a terrifically exciting opportunity for the right individual to join a growing organization at the launch of a new Strategic Vision.
- Provide inspirational and effective overall leadership, management, and coordination, of current youth and family programs, including curriculum development and customization
- Be an entrepreneurial organizational leader who can proactively work with the Executive Director, Board and other key partners to identify strategic opportunities for new education programs, identify needed resources and successfully launch and implement these programs
- Recruit, hire, train, supervise and support full-time and seasonal education staff
- Oversee the financial management of education programs, setting reasonable targets and ensuring that educational programs are operated according to the approved budget
- Work closely with key staff at the farm, especially marketing, to ensure education program business goals (including registration numbers) are achieved
- Identify, seek and secure targeted grant funding that supports strategic organizational objectives and facilitates program growth and impact.
- Design, implement and evaluate regular program reviews to ensure the Education program’s goals of customer satisfaction and learning outcomes are met
- Work closely with other departments (especially agriculture/farming staff) to ensure that education programs are well integrated into other aspects of the farm’s operations, and taking advantage of possible organizational synergies
- Maintain a strong working knowledge of the latest developments in the field of sustainable food systems and agriculture, as well as experiential education, and evolve and improve program curriculum to ensure that WNFF is “best in class” and a leader in experiential education
- Be proactive in developing and managing relationships with key partner organizations, including other non-profits and schools, to help strengthen existing programs and identify opportunities for new programs.
- Work closely with Staff, Board and consultants to design and create physical spaces that facilitate learning.
Skills and Qualifications
- Five–plus years progressive leadership and management in a classroom or in an experiential education setting, preferably in a farm-based setting.
- A strong interest in and knowledge of the food system, sustainable agriculture, and the natural environment.
- A demonstrated passion for the field of experiential education and to inspiring future generations
- Strong desire to be part of a dynamic, entrepreneurial work environment and a growing, farm-based non-profit organization.
- Bachelors Degree in Education, Agriculture, Environmental, or a related field. Related Advanced degree is desired but not required.
- Strong interpersonal skills and public communication abilities, including excellent customer service and management ability with a diverse workforce, as well as writing and public speaking skills.
- Strong organizational abilities, time management skills and ability to effectively plan ahead across the program season, and to prioritize and manage multiple projects.
- Demonstrated entrepreneurial skills, included the ability to successful design and launch new initiatives.
- Energetic, dynamic and engaging personality.
- Experience in hiring, training, motivating, and supporting educational staff (especially seasonal staff)
- Ability to work well independently as a member of a high functioning team and develop effective working relationships with people from a variety of backgrounds.
- Ability to be flexible to the changing needs of a vibrant and growing, but small, entrepreneurial organization, and to work well under pressure .
- Must be able to work a variable work schedule, which includes occasional work on weekends.
The Director of Education is a full-time, year-round position. Starting salary is commensurate with experience. As a full time employee the DOE is eligible for benefits offered by Wolfe’s Neck Farm, including: health insurance, dental insurance, paid vacation and holidays and our retirement savings plan.
Please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with Director of Education as the subject line. In the interest of reducing waste, please do not mail a hard copy of your materials. Interested applicants are encouraged to apply ASAP. No Phone calls please. Position posted 12/10/14.
Wolfe’s Neck Farm Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in the workplace.