Kinderhook, New York
Farm to Table Culinary Program Assistant
The Sylvia Center at Katchkie Farm
The Sylvia Center (TSC) is a non-profit organization whose mission is to inspire children to eat well through hands-on learning experiences on the farm and in the kitchen. Through our programs, children learn what fresh food is, how delicious it tastes, and how to prepare it for themselves and their families. In our Children’s Garden, outdoor kitchen on Katchkie Farm, and in local schools and community centers, we teach skills that inspire children to establish independent healthy eating habits – so that they may lead healthy and productive lives.
Job Title and Summary
The Sylvia Center at Katchkie Farm is seeking a part-time, seasonal Culinary Program Assistant for the 2015 growing season (April – November). The Assistant will work with the Culinary Instructor to prepare for and conduct the culinary component of our farm to table educational programs which teach basic culinary skills, food seasonality, and the joy of cooking and eating fresh fruits and vegetables grown right on the farm. Primary duties will include the daily prepping of foods in advance of programs and helping to teach children basic culinary skills. The Culinary Program Assistant will work closely with the Culinary Instructor and will report to the Education Director.
The Assistant position runs from April 1, 2015 through approximately November 20, 2015. This position requires an extremely flexible schedule, as the work week will vary over the course of the growing and programming seasons, ranging from 4-5 days per week at approximately 6.5-8 hours per day. A work schedule will be provided at least one week in advance.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Prepare foods for and help conduct and teach educational culinary programs that create vegetarian meals from scratch using seasonal farm produce to participants of all ages.
- Assist with meal creation for groups of 30-55 participants. This includes cutting vegetables, cooking on a propane cook top or grill, operating a wood-fired oven (training provided), and other culinary tasks.
- Assist the Culinary Instructor with organizing and setting up all necessary equipment and supplies to execute these programs in a rustic, outdoor kitchen. Assist with the breaking down, packing up, and of cleaning dishes and equipment following each program.
- Communicate with the Culinary Instructor to review culinary lesson plans prior to the programs.
- Regular weekly cleaning of our prep kitchen and outdoor field kitchen.
- Assist with other programs, special events, and farm related tasks as necessary.
- Passionate about food, cooking, and working on a farm.
- Experience with basic culinary technique (knife skills, baking, roasting, etc.), ideally in a work setting.
- Interest in cooking seasonal, simple and delicious food with freshly harvested organic vegetables. Experience a plus.
- Interest in teaching children and adults about the importance of cooking and eating well and a willingness to support all aspects of our farm to table programs. Experience a plus.
- Enthusiastic, able to work quickly in a fast paced environment, detail-oriented, responsible, focused, and excited to work with children.
- Able to work independently on projects, anticipate what needs to be done, and take action without being asked.
- Able to take initiative, follow instructions, and learn quickly with a positive attitude and sense of humor.
- Must have an exceptional and cooperative work ethic, excellent communication skills, and the ability to rise to the occasion with a positive attitude when unexpected tasks need to be completed.
- Able to lift up to 50 lbs, and perform physical, outdoor jobs in inclement weather.
- Flexible schedule and ability to accommodate an irregular work week.
- Current CPR and First-Aid Certification.
- Valid Driver’s License and a reliable vehicle that can be used for weekly supply runs (reimbursement for your mileage will be provided).
- Adventurous eater with gardening skills is a big plus.
Compensation: Hourly wage of $8.75/hr along with healthy portions of farm produce, and eggs when available.
To Apply: Please email your resume, cover letter, and three references, at least two professional, (include name, relationship, phone number, and email address) to Julie Cerny, Education Director and Garden Manager, email@example.com. For updates to this description please visit: http://sylviacenter.org/category/employment/