Position: Farm Sales Manager
Supervised by: Farm Enterprise Director
Compensation: Competitive salary based on experience
Hours: Full time, Wednesday – Sunday
Growing Home’s organic urban farm and job training program is seeking a sales manager to handle all market-based activities. The Farm Sales Manager will oversee Growing Home’s stand at two major farmers markets, as well as the weekly Wood St. urban farm stand. Additionally, the Farm Sales Manager will assist in crop harvest and other on-farm tasks, as well as providing training to Production Assistants enrolled in Growing Home’s job training program. Training aspects will include crop production, customer service, and job readiness, both at market and in the field alongside our Farm Site Manager. This position will be the face of Growing Home to a majority of our buyers, including direct sales, restaurant, and wholesale.
Weekend work is required. The work week for this position will be Wednesday through Sunday, including early pre-market hours.
Market Management and Produce Sales
- Manage sales and stands at Wednesday’s Wood St. Farm Stand, Saturday’s Green City Market, and Sunday’s Logan Square Market
- Maintain freshness and quality of produce at all markets, as well as an attractive stand set-up
- Employ creativity and adaptability in market stand arrangement, to enhance productivity and customer and employee experience.
- Oversee Production Assistants and other staff who will be working weekly markets
- Manage harvest sales and record keeping, including weekly market reports and an inventory of all crops before and after sales
- Ensure accurate sales and correct change
- Maintain an inventory of market stand supplies
- Ensure quality, timeliness, and accuracy in all aspects of restaurant and wholesale ordering, sales, and delivery
- Transport all packed produce to market, unload, and set up stand using methods that maintain quality standards
- Assist in calculating year-end production and income figures
- Ensure smooth communication and registration with all sites and customers
Field and Training Responsibilities
- Work with the Farm Site Manager to assist in field training of Production Assistants
- Assist in production, including bed preparation, seedling production, planting, watering, weeding, cultivating, and beehive management
- Assist in harvesting and processing vegetables for sales
- Assist with general site maintenance
- Provide verbal feedback to interns concerning work performance and job readiness
- Take responsibility for group work performance, outcomes, and job readiness of Production Assistants according to program themes and measures
- Conduct farm skills, sales, and customer service trainings for production assistants as necessary
- Participate in weekly direct staff meetings, as well as monthly full staff meetings and other agency-wide meetings when appropriate
- Meet weekly with employment training and farm training staff
- Perform other appropriate duties as assigned
- Farming and sales experience
- Detail-oriented, dependable, and punctual
- Comfortable using math skills in busy settings
- Good oral and written communication skills, including ability to professionally communicate with clients, customers, visitors, volunteers, employer contacts, and funders
- Comfortable managing and engaging people with different cultural backgrounds and experiences
- Proficient in computer tasks including Microsoft Word, Excel, email, and internet browsing
- Ability to lift up to 75 lbs.
- Able to work independently
If interested in the full-time Farm Sales Manager position please send one PDF document including a cover letter and resume along with two professional references to Stephanie Douglass, Farm Enterprise Director, at email@example.com. Email subject line should include the position title. No phone calls, please.
Growing Home, Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in education and employment and does not discriminate against individuals on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, age, or national or ethnic origin.
Growing Home, Inc.
Urban Farm, Transitional Employment & Job Training Center
5814 S. Wood St.
Chicago, IL 60636