Irvington, New York
(posted Jan. 30, 2015)
NESAWG is the Northeast region’s farm and food network. We work together with over 500 participating agencies and thousands of individuals, to build the movement for a more sustainable and equitable farm and food system. We are seeking a full-time Communications Manager to take the lead on all NESAWG Communications. This is an excellent opportunity to make use of NESAWG’s network of farm and food systems professionals and practitioners. The Communications Manager will enhance communication, collaboration, and access to information across the region through electronic communications and emerging technologies, a new “food knowledge ecosystem” network (NEFKE) and a new Community News Project. As we are a small organization, the right candidate will be an excellent writer, have a background in communications and IT, and will be able to wear many different hats.
The Northeast Food Knowledge Ecosytem (NEFKE) is a project led by NESAWG and key partners, for sharing information across the region via the internet. It is designed to improve research, communication and collaboration for those involved in farm and food systems work, from academics, to advocates, to farmers and others. The Communications Manager will work with the NEFKE team to help transition it from pilot phase to an ongoing suite of tools and resources available to others in our network. Tasks will include outreach and training, and working closely with the NEFKE team on governance, new technologies and other opportunities and challenges as they emerge.
The Community News Project is a new endeavor to make use of our extensive network, by spearheading messaging that tells our unique (local) stories around unified (regional) themes. The Communications Manager will conduct outreach, recruit participants, lead trainings and work closely with policy and other staff and partners.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Develop, implement and manage communication strategies
- Manage drupal-based website, which includes developing and updating content,
- troubleshooting issues and administration of fees and licensing
- Create content and manage social media presence on Facebook and Twitter
- Produce bi-monthly e-newsletter (including special NESAWG-focused features)
- Work with staff and Steering Committee to set and implement communications priorities
- Manage Community News and NEFKE follow-up projects
- Conduct research and maintain up to date knowledge on regional farm and food priorities
- Develop brochure and other printed materials such as tabling displays and press releases
- Provide outreach, recruit participants and lead trainings
- Work with program staff and partners to support communications activities on policy and other topics
- Take lead in online community building and network weaving
- Improve and expand online Workgroup communications
- Manage database
- Assist with event planning
Peer Learning * Advocacy * Leadership * Collaborating for Change The Northeast Region’s Farm and Food Network
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Manage NESAWG’s NEFOOD list serve
- Recruit and supervise communications intern and conference volunteers
- Contribute to reports and proposals
- Represent NESAWG at meetings as needed
- Participate in visioning and planning
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Bachelors degree in communications, marketing, public relations or related field required
- 5+ years of communications experience, particularly in the areas of marketing and branding,
- graphic design and writing
- 5+ years of experience in developing and implementing successful annual communication strategies in collaboration with key organizational staff and stakeholders
- 3+ years of experience with farm and food systems
- 3+ years of experience working with website development and IT systems and ability to collaborate with IT personnel such as programmers
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Strong writing, editing, research, speaking and interpersonal skills
- Strong leadership skills and the ability to work well independently and as part of a team
- Experience in and knowledge of farm and foods systems work
- Flexibility and a willingness to learn new technologies
- Demonstrated competency in Mailchimp, Drupal and Adobe Creative Suite
- Familiarity with and/or competency in Salsa or similar CRM, Web and email hosting services
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong organization and time management skills
- Able to manage multiple priorities and meet weekly and monthly deadlines
- Desired: good eye for graphic design
- Good sense of humor
REPORTING: This position reports to our Coordinator/General Director and works closely with advocacy staff, steering committee members and NESAWG network partners.
OTHER REQUIREMENTS: The Communicates Manager must work from a home office and provide their own laptop/computer and internet and phone connections. The home office must be located in the New York City Tri-State area or lower-mid Hudson Valley.
COMPENSATION: This is an exempt position, based on a fulltime work week of 32+ hours. Competitive salary with full benefits.
TO APPLY: By Feb. 15th, send a resume, cover letter, writing sample and 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put your cover letter in the body of the email.
NESAWG, a project of Tides Center, is an “at-will” and equal opportunity employer. Applicants and employees shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation, gender (including pregnancy and gender expression) identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law or ordinance.
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.