Long Lake, Minnesota
Harvest Moon Natural Foods Cooperative
General Manager Position
Who we are: Harvest Moon is an independent, member-owned natural foods cooperative located just 15 miles west of downtown Minneapolis. We are a full-service grocery store with a big heart and a small town atmosphere. Our commitment is to provide products that are ethically traded and sustainably produced while supporting growers and producers within our local economy.
Background: We opened our doors in June of 2010 and currently have approximately 1500 member-owners. We are looking for a General Manager to report to the Board of Directors, with responsibility for overseeing all aspects of Co-op operations. The Board of Directors has adopted Policy Governance and manages the GM through our Ends and Executive Limitation policies.
General Manager Role: Manage all aspects of co-op operations to meet the goals and objectives established by the Board of Directors. The General Manager is the “face” of Harvest Moon – a charismatic and knowledgeable presence engaging with our member-owners, shoppers, Board and community. We are looking for someone committed to making Harvest Moon a thriving retail business by participating in and contributing to the local economy and building community by creating an inviting and unique environment in which to shop, learn, gather and interact.
Responsibilities of the Position:
- Financial Accountability:
- Prepares and executes against annual plan including operating, cash and capital budgets
- Achieves bottom line profitability and growth
- Monitors and manages all labor and other controllable expenditures
- Develops business and long range plans to achieve goals established by Board
- Reports to the Board on a monthly basis following Policy Governance.
- Oversees all day to day operations including product mix and placement that meets the Harvest Moon Ends Statement
- Delivers outstanding customer service
- Developments store policies and procedures
- Manages physical facility and systems,
- Complies with all applicable laws and regulations
- Industry Relations:
- Builds and maintains mutually beneficial relationships with appropriate wholesale distributors, local producers and with other cooperatives and organizations within the natural foods industry
- Maintains current knowledge of food retailing, natural foods cooperatives, sustainable food production, consumer health and environmental issues and other related industry trends
- Marketing and Member-Owner Services:
- Oversees marketing and advertising
- Expands membership and manages relationship with member-owners
- Represents Harvest Moon effectively with community groups and member-owners
- Human Resources:
- Develops and maintains a staffing model
- Hires, trains, supervises and evaluates staff
- Develops and maintains personnel policies and practices, including with respect to compensation and benefits
- Establishes a positive working environment that encourages staff input and recognizes staff contributions
- General Management experience and bottom-line accountability in a retail food business, preferably retail grocery and/or natural foods cooperative operation.
- Experience with operating, capital and cash budgeting and management.
- Management experience, including staffing, training, directing, evaluating, compensating and releasing employees.
- Demonstrated ability to articulate a vision and positively motivate, lead and collaborate to achieve goals.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and make effective decisions, appropriately balancing risks and benefits to achieving complex, time-bound objectives in a multi-priority environment.
- Highly effective written, oral and electronic communications; comfort with and effective use of contemporary communications and other technologies.
- Familiar with and commitment to natural food co-op operations, sustainable and healthy food production, environmentally sound business practices and related industry trends.
- Experience with and respect for Board process; ability to work effectively with elected Board.
- Commitment to Cooperative Principles and Values.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent experience.
- Personal qualities:
- Proactive and able to create and sustain momentum
- Open to new ideas, regardless of source
- Able to give and receive feedback
- Enthusiastic about Harvest Moon and our community
Compensation: Salary and benefits commensurate with position and experience.
If interested, please contact one of the following members of the Board or the store:
Harvest Moon Natural Foods
2380 Wayzata Blvd. W.
Long Lake, MN 55356