Sugar Hill, New Hampshire
SKI HEARTH FARM MANAGER
Ski Hearth Farm is a stunning 600+ acre farm located in Sugar Hill, NH. The farm has a long history within the local community. Prior to its resurrection in 2013, the property was not operating as a farm for several years. We organically farmed 12 acres of 50 different crops and 100 varieties in 2014. The majority of our produce was sold through our farm stand and local restaurants. In addition, we have a flock of 200 egg layers. The farm had a 60 plus member CSA program during 2014. Ski Hearth opened and operated a new thirty kilometer Nordic Ski business during the 2014/15 winter season.
Our vision for the farm is to create a sustainable, organic, diversified three season farming operation to support the local community in living a healthier lifestyle, become an anchor for the community, and support the local towns as a tourist destination.
The Farm Manager will assume responsibility for the management of all farm related activities. Approximately 20,000 square feet of greenhouse/high tunnels will be put into operation. In addition, twelve to fifteen acres will be put into row crop production or cover crop. Based on the success of these operations, future expansion will be budgeted. At its core, the job requires a commitment from someone comfortable with, and capable of, handling all manner of agricultural tasks.
While responsibilities will vary greatly according to season, the Farm Manager’s main function will be to oversee and assist with the scheduling, preparation, planting, cultivation, harvesting, washing and storage of all propagated, transplanted and direct seeded crops. Tasks will include basic greenhouse and equipment maintenance, budgeting and costing, field scouting, fertility and pest control, harvesting, crop rotation, cover cropping, irrigation management, product quality control and post-harvest product management. The Manager will be accountable for a host of detail oriented record keeping responsibilities, as well as the day-to-day time management and labor requirements involving a staff of low and high skilled laborers.
In addition to vegetable production, the successful candidate will also assume additional responsibilities assisting the principal and other workers with other aspects of farm operations including but not limited to working with marketing, assisting laborers and contractors with their area of responsibility, farm stand operations, egg production, and the overall preparation of produce for CSA shares and retail/wholesale distribution.
The number of hours per week will fluctuate with the season; as such, the Farm Manager will be expected to work more hours per week in the spring, summer, and fall, and fewer hours per week in the winter.
We are searching for a Farm Manager who can demonstrate a strong work ethic, is a proactive communicator, and has an enthusiastic focus on contributing to the achievement of the farm’s long-term goals. The Farm Manager will have experience in operating and managing a successful organic farm business. The ideal Farm Manager candidate will have a minimum of three full years of hands-on, practical farming experience in a management position. S/he will possess a well-rounded knowledge of horticultural technique and exhibit great enthusiasm for fresh vegetables, fruit, sustainable agriculture, and healthy living. Applicants for this position, if not already well on their way, should be firmly resolved to the pursuit of a career in farming and wholly enthusiastic about taking a current farming operation to the next level.
Attitude is everything! We need a manager who can bring a positive attitude to our farm community.
- Able to develop and execute detailed crop plan
- Able to harvest/wash/package crops with minimal labor while ensuring high quality
- Intimate knowledge of storage techniques and procedures for storage crops
- Experience with mechanical cultivation and farming practices
- Experience with late season production of greens (spinach, etc) using row covers, caterpillar tunnels and high tunnels
- Knowledgeable in the areas of permaculture, crop rotation and cover cropping in order to rebuild soil health
- Able to manage low and high skilled laborers
- Able to use web based software and iPhone/iPad devices
- Extremely organized, task oriented, and superb attention to detail skills
- Ability to teach others and delegate tasks
- Minimum 3 years of agro-ecological farming and farm management experience
- Preferred experience in running a successful organic farm business
- Demonstrated success in previous management and leadership positions with excellent interpersonal and customer service skills
- Demonstrated ability to integrate management operations with community and sustainability considerations and outcomes
- Open to learning and implementing new farming and energy efficiency techniques
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Computer, data entry and reporting skills
- Proven record of success in a highly collaborative and dynamic work environment
- Minimum 2 references
TERM OF EMPLOYMENT, COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
This is a full-time, year-round salaried ($35- $45,000) working manager position with paid time off. Compensation will commensurate with applicant’s previous experience. Onsite housing is included. Farm Manager may be eligible for retirement benefits.
HOW TO APPLY:
If you have a proven, strong passion for farming and food and are looking to be a part of farming operation anchored in the community, please e-mail your cover letter, resume to email@example.com
Please use the cover letter as your opportunity to tell us about you, your strengths and goals! Please feel free to highlight any other skills or personal details.