Education and Volunteer Coordinator at Brookwood Community Farm
Brookwood Community Farm is a 6-acre non-profit working farm located just outside of Boston in Milton, MA. We grow vegetables and flowers for a 200-member CSA using organic methods, attend a weekly farmer’s market, and participate in a variety of food access programs such as food pantry donations. While Brookwood is primarily a production farm, our mission is to connect people to food and farming opportunities. One way we do this is by offering regular volunteer and educational opportunities for our farm members as well as groups and individuals from Boston and the surrounding communities. We are also committed to increasing access to local, organic foods in underserved communities.
Description of Position
The seasonal, part-time Education and Volunteer Coordinator will provide leadership and supervision to farm visitors of all ages and backgrounds and support the implementation of education programming. We are looking for someone who is really excited about farm-based education and can contribute to the growth of the educational and community-building opportunities at Brookwood.
- Independently lead educational programming including farm tours, fieldwork, and lessons for visitors of all ages (preschool through senior citizen)
- Supervise individual volunteers during set volunteer hours
- Manage communication with volunteers and visiting groups
- Conduct outreach for volunteer and education programs
- Maintain a small learning garden
- Update materials for programming, such as activities and handouts
- Enhance the farm’s capacity to serve as a learning tool (i.e. introduce more signage)
- Train and supervise others to assist in leading educational and volunteer groups
- Assist with farm member events such as monthly potlucks
- Be passionate about food, plants, and farm-based education
- Love working with people and have an awesome interpersonal and communication skills
- Teaching and/or youth leadership experience in a school or non-traditional setting with proven ability around youth safety, group management and discipline preferred
- Have some experience with sustainable agriculture or gardening
- Experience working with volunteers with all ages
- Be able to work independently
- Advanced organizational skills
- Be comfortable performing office tasks such as email, basic website maintenance, and Excel data entry
- The ability to be flexible with both schedule and day-to-day tasks. You also must be able to work Saturday mornings
- Must be comfortable working in both outdoor and non-traditional office settings
More information about the farm, visit our website, http://www.brookwoodcommunityfarm.org.