EatWell Natural Farm in LaPlata, MD hiring seasonal Farm Hand
Job Title: Farm Hand
Who we are:
We are a small farm growing fruit, vegetables, herbs and flowers for four restaurants in Washington DC, a small CSA and one farmers’ market. We strive to work with nature and grow clean food in a sustainable manner without the use of chemical pesticides and fertilizers.
We are seeking someone who is interested in working and learning on a small-scale farm operation. This position will work directly with the Farm Manager on all aspects of vegetable, herb and flower production. These tasks will include, but are not limited to, planting, weeding, irrigation, greenhouse work, harvest, washing, packing and selling at a farmers’ market on Saturdays in LaPlata, MD.
We are looking for someone who is flexible, eager, easy to work with, trustworthy, and responsible. Reliable transportation is a must. Previous farming or gardening experience is preferred, but not required.
The work is physically challenging as we do the vast majority of our work by hand. Candidates should be able to lift 50 lbs, repeatedly. We will be working outside in all weather conditions. The hours will vary but will average 40 hours per week.
The position begins early May and runs through the end of October.
· All basic farm tasks including cultivating, harvesting, irrigating, washing and packing produce, seeding, transplanting, weeding, and other field chores as needed
· Run the farmers’ market stand on Saturdays during the season (exact dates TBD but approximately June-October). This includes set up, sales, accounting for sales and inventory, break down and transporting set up and produce to and from market on your own, after training.
· Provide excellent customer assistance and education about the farm.
· Responsible use of equipment and facilities with a priority in safety
· Work effectively and cooperatively with other EatWell staff
· Complete special projects as assigned by the farm manager
· Assist with on and off farm events directly related to the farm
· Supervise and work along side volunteers
Must be passionate about clean local food and sustainable agriculture. Experience on similar farm operations is desirable but willingness to learn and eagerness to work will go a long way in the decision process.
$10 per hour, fresh produce to take home, discounts at our restaurants in DC, and a great opportunity to learn hands on about growing clean food in a sustainable manner. You will be working with other passionate individuals and helping to bring good food into the community. There will also be opportunities to visit other local farms and participate in events within the local food community.
How to apply:
Send a resume, cover letter and three references to Erica S. Elms, Farm Manager at email@example.com