Vineyard Haven, Massachusetts
Island Grown Schools Coordinator: K-12
Starting annual salary: $25,000 for 30 hrs/week
The educator in this position will coordinate Island Grown Schools’ farm-to-school programming at the MV Regional High School, the Edgartown School, and in our year-round teen program, the Farm Project. The coordinator will reach students from kindergarten through 12th grade by facilitating garden lessons, classroom lessons, farm field trips and by maintaining a presence in the school cafeterias with a focus on our Harvest of the Month program.
- Garden: Coordinate planting and maintenance of school garden throughout the year; create an accessible outdoor learning environment for multiple learning styles; engage school community in garden projects and encourage ownership of garden.
- Classroom: Implement age appropriate curriculum for grades K-12 based on IGS units and learning goals; communicate with teachers to tie lessons into their curriculums; meet with teachers and IGS staff to continue to develop relevant curriculum connections.
- Cafeteria/Harvest of the Month: Coordinate with IGS Harvest of the Month chef to schedule monthly tastings in the school cafeterias; communicate with the cafeteria directors regarding Harvest of the Month items featured in the school lunches; host Harvest of the Month raffles; incorporate Harvest of the Month lessons into your curriculum, and Harvest of the Month crops into the garden; collect data on student tastings and local food procurement.
- Field Trips: Connect schools to local farms and farmers during relevant lessons/units; schedule field trips with schools and farmers; facilitate field trips when appropriate.
- Farm Project: Manage the year-round IGS teen program; promote the Farm Project at both MVRHS and the MV Public Charter School and hire crew members; plan and implement curriculum and schedule farm visits; mentor students throughout the school year on individual and group projects.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Experience in garden or farm-based education
- Ability to work professionally and responsibly in public school settings
- Classroom management skills
- Knowledge of age-appropriate content and capabilities
- Time management and scheduling skills
- Patience and strong listening skills
- Positive attitude
- Passion for creating a sustainable food system and commitment to the mission of IGS
- Love of working with children
- Experience with social media a plus
Interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter to Kaila Allen-Posin @ firstname.lastname@example.org.