Prattsville, New York
Woodland Farm Worker Needed
American Ginseng Pharm is seeking farm workers for the 2015 growing season. American Ginseng Pharm is an agroforestry farm that grows wild-simulated ginseng, Chinese medicinal herbs, and mushrooms in the northern Catskill Mountains (Delaware/Greene County). The work season runs mid-May through October. Workers receive training and education from farm staff to develop knowledge in forest ecology, tree/herbaceous plant identification, organic herb/mushroom cultivation, and the history of American ginseng. Key worker responsibilities include woodland site preparation (small tree and brush removal, May-August), ginseng seed planting (September-October), and aiding other herb and mushroom projects as needed. Housing is provided on a case-by-case basis.
- At least 18 years of age with a US citizenship
- Strong work ethic, organizational skills and attention to detail
- Effective oral and written communication skills and ability to check email and phone messages daily
- Good physical condition and enthusiasm for long days in the field
- Ability to work both independently and as part of team
- Ability to transport to and from work sites
- Basic tree and plant identification skills
- Farm work experience
- Ability to navigate using maps, compass and/or handheld GPS
- Wilderness first aid certification
- Game of Logging chainsaw certification
- Working knowledge of ArcGIS software
- Ability to read, write, and speak Mandarin
For more information and to apply, contact Anna Plattner at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Send a cover letter and resume with three references (names, email addresses and phone numbers).
Please include all materials in one Word or PDF file and state your last name in the file name.