Organizational Mission: Tricycle Gardens is a nonprofit organization with a mission to grow healthy food, healthy communities and a healthy local food system.
Since breaking ground on our first garden, we have engaged thousands of neighbors and shown that the simple act of growing food is an incredibly powerful way to change the overall health of our community. This work addresses a myriad of challenging issues, and ultimately our mission is about FOOD:
F- Focus on Community Needs, O-Outreach & Education, O-Opportunities for Healthy Food Access, D- Design of Beautiful Spaces.
Location: Richmond, VA
The Program Coordinator is an essential and integral member of our growing team and supports Tricycle Gardens’ strategic food access and education programs. These programs include the Corner Farm, a city-wide healthy corner store initiative, and farmers’ markets with partner organizations to directly address the food deserts in our community through outreach, education and distribution of healthy, local produce to communities that are currently lacking access.
The Program Coordinator will join our dynamic team during an exciting time in our organizational advancement. This position manages daily and strategic expansion of Corner Farm, a city-wide healthy corner store initiative, including store owner outreach, produce deliveries and technical assistance. By training and coordinating volunteers, the Program Coordinator leads food skills education programs including in-store tastings and cooking demonstrations. The Program Coordinator manages operations for two farmers’ markets that include double-up SNAP programming, and this includes implementation and volunteer coordination for the markets. Other responsibilities include:
- Track and report program deliverables and metrics
- Work with Farm Manager to determine weekly harvest and seasonal crop selection to support food access programs
- Support our Mission Manager with program evaluation and grant reporting
- Maintain and grow strategic and healthy relationships with our community-based partners
- Support various educational programming and special events throughout the year
- Support volunteer recruitment, coordination, training and evaluation
- Participate in farm work days and “all staff” activities, where Tricycle Gardens staff manage large projects, events, educational programs, or volunteer days
- Be willing and able to lend a hand throughout the organization as needed
- 3-5 years of program coordination experience
- Interest in and familiarity with issues related to local food systems, food access and equity and sustainable agriculture
- Experience facilitating interactive workshops with adults and children
- Experience managing volunteers
- Precise attention to detail
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Strong interpersonal and written/verbal communication skills
- Sense of humor and joy for our work
- Experience working in diverse environments and ability to work with people of varied backgrounds
- Strong public speaking and group facilitation skills
- Comfort working in a variety of settings and managing priorities independently, in an evolving, fast-paced, and multi-tasking environment
- Excellent ability to build and sustain strong working relationships
- A desire to laugh, have fun, and make a positive impact
Requirements: Drivers license, ability to drive a delivery van, ability to periodically work evenings and weekends.
Compensation: We offer a competitive salary and benefits.
Tricycle Gardens is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer and an open and affirming community. We encourage applications from non-traditional applicants and those who are underrepresented in the field.
For consideration, please email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. The position will remain open until filled, but priority will be given to resumes and cover letters received by April 17, 2015.
Thank you for your interest and please no phone calls.