2015 Apprenticeship at Siena Farms
We are seeking hardworking, high-energy, positive individuals who are motivated by a career interest in sustainable agriculture to join our 2015 team. Our apprentices participate in all of the farm’s daily operations, including production, harvest, and retail. This traditional, hands-on apprenticeship provides the opportunity to be an integral, productive part of our fast-paced, for-profit farm. Apprentices gain knowledge, farming skills, and professional work-experience to help them prepare for the next steps in their farming careers.
The apprentice position is seasonal, with start dates between April and June, and an end date in mid-December. Hours range from 50-60 hours per week, 5 days per week. Applicants should be prepared to lift upwards of 50lbs repeatedly and work in all weather conditions. Compensation includes hourly wage, farm veggies, and employee discounts at Siena Farms South End, Oleana, Sofra, and Sarma. We do not offer on-farm housing.
- Planting, including greenhouse propagation and mechanical transplanting
- Cultivation/weed-control by hand and hoe
- Field work such as trellising, pruning, fencing, thinning
- Daily harvest of our 200+ varieties of vegetables, fresh herbs, fruits, and flowers
- Post-harvest handling, including washing, curing, packing, and transporting produce
Sales & Distribution
- Assisting with sales, customer service, and farmers market set-up and break-down
- Preparation and packing of wholesale orders for restaurant deliveries
- Preparation and packing of CSA shares for pickup and distribution
- Participation in farm outreach events such as CSA member farm tours and volunteer days
Weekly Training Sessions
- Paid participation in bi-weekly EMass CRAFT farm-tours
- On-farm training sessions on practical farming topics, including crop-planning, field-planning, business-planning, marketing, soil fertility, pest and disease management and irrigation
- Orientation to all of our equipment, as well as our planning documents including crop plans, field plans, soil tests and pricelists
- Group field walks with Farmer Chris and farm managers to learn from the fields and crops themselves
Please email a letter of interest and a resumé to firstname.lastname@example.org We look forward to hearing from you!