Apple Seeds Farm Assistant
Arkansas GardenCorps position
Apple Seeds, a Fayetteville-based non-profit providing garden-based education, seeks an entrepreneurial and enthusiastic full-time Farm Assistant for the Apple Seeds Teaching Farm. The farm will rely on organic and sustainable methods for vegetable and fruit production. This person will assist in seeding, planting, weed and insect control, soil enhancement, cover cropping, and irrigation management. The Farm Assistant will report to the farm manager and will periodically manage teams of volunteers. The Farm Assistant will also assist in our educational programs, Farm Lab and School Markets.
This is an opportunity to be a part of a new endeavor and provide a unique service in a supportive community. This person must be a team player who is excited to help grow this social-entrepreneurial non-profit.
- Work under guidance of farm manager
- Implement planting schedule and manage seasonal garden tasks
- Monitor soil moisture, adjust irrigation settings, and monitor plant health
- Assist with all aspects of planting and tending the garden, including transplanting, seeding, weeding, thinning, fertilizing, organic pest control, pruning, harvesting, compost management, etc
- Harvest, wash, bundle crops
- Assist in transport of produce when necessary
- Assist in field trips and leading farm discussion with students
- Assist in school garden markets
- Offer Consultations with school garden leaders
- Weekly staff meetings
- Daily correspondence with farm manager
- Create task lists for volunteers, assign duties to volunteers, educate & explain gardening tasks in detail
- Experience in farming, large-scale gardening; experience with organic farming or school garden projects highly desirable.
- Works well with many personality types
- Self-motivated, hard worker, able to work and meet goals independently
- Experience in school garden education is highly desirable
- Strong oral communication skills
- Enjoys being around children and has a friendly demeanor
- Able to organize, lead, and instruct all types of people with varying levels of gardening experience
- Full time – 35 hours/week
This is an Arkansas GardenCorps position with a start date of September 8, 2015. In return for each year of full-time service, the person filling this position will receive a living allowance of $13,100 per year, childcare and healthcare benefits, if needed, and a $5,645 education award if 1,700 hours of service are completed.
To qualify for a GardenCorps position, candidates must be a U.S. citizen, U.S. National, or lawful permanent resident. They must be at least 18 years of age and have a high school diploma, GED, or be enrolled in a program to obtain a GED. Candidates must be available to serve full-time for at least one year. The application process also requires a criminal history background check to ensure community members with whom we work are protected.
For more information about the GardenCorps program, contact Emily English at email@example.com
Interested farm assistants should submit their application online at http://www.arkansasgardencorps.com.
About Apple Seeds
Apple Seeds is a non-profit that has been serving Northwest Arkansas for nearly ten years. Apple Seeds provides a variety of programs, including gardening clubs, healthy cooking classes, field trips to farms and farmers markets, and school garden farmers markets. Apple Seeds’ mission is to inspire healthy living through garden-based education. Thanks in large part to its Farm to School partnership with the Fayetteville Public Schools Apple Seeds will have reached nearly 6,000 students by the end of 2014. For more information visit http://www.appleseedsnwa.org