Ste. Genevieve, Missouri
Job Description: Assistant Field Manager (Position to begin 2015)
Summary: This position requires a dynamic person who is comfortable with being flexible and taking on whatever tasks this new and evolving farm requires. In early spring the rest of our staff is busy in the Greenhouse and a lot of responsibility falls on this team member to get things done without much assistance. The key responsibility is being present in the field to oversee that daily tasks are completed to the Field Manager’s specifications. This position requires patience, a good sense of humor, ability to weigh importance of tasks and order accordingly, motivation to set an efficient working pace, attention to detail, and a keen understanding of how to efficiently weed, harvest, water and plant. Weekend availability and flexibility is essential for this position. The successful candidate will have some experience with customer service and will be available to sell at Saturday farmer’s market at least twice per month.
Skill Level Required: Preference given to those with at least 2 years experience working on an organic farm or to those having a degree or certificate in Horticulture or Agriculture. At least some experience working with plants is required. Applicants must have the ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds, work long hours doing repetitive manual labor, and be able to work in harsh weather conditions.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Working and communicating with the Field Supervisor to implement the growing plan by following and amending the schedule as needed.
- Coordinating with the Greenhouse staff to ensure seedlings are on schedule for planting and communicating needs, retrieving the seedlings to be planted as necessary in the proper manner
- Assist in overseeing the timing and method for harvest, processing (sorting, cleaning, and quality control), and packaging of vegetables for wholesale, farmer’s market, and C.S.A. share sales.
- Efficiently organizing the timing of, and guiding field hands in the proper implementation of all other necessary tasks in the field such as weeding, fertilizing, turning under cover crop, spreading straw, mulching, etc…
- Working with the Field Supervisor in pest management by locating and communicating about insect and weed problems in the field. Applying pest management practices such as remay fabric, and occasionally OMRI approved insecticide or anti-microbial spray.
- Managing the compost program by keeping piles turned, burning diseased materials, correcting moisture content, and screening compost for use – some tractor experience is preferred.
- This position requires driving the company delivery van to the St. Louis area. No special licensing is required.
We are able to offer a starting rate of $13 – $15 per hour for this position depending on experience. This is a full-time year round position. There is also the option for a medical, dental and vision healthcare plan after 3 months. After one year there is one week of paid vacation time available per year and an option for a 401K plan.
Interested applicants should call Brigitte Zettl at 573-535-4633