About The Organization:
The Trustees is an organization with a fascinating past and an exciting future. Our places are open to all and we thrive by involving as many people as possible in what we do. Founded in 1891, by a group of visionary volunteers, we preserve, for public use and enjoyment, properties of exceptional scenic, historic, and ecological value in Massachusetts and work to protect special places across the state. We have helped protect more than 50,000 acres, including 25,000+ acres on more than 100 reservations that are all open to the public. We are a nonprofit conservation organization funded and supported entirely by our visitors, supporters, volunteers, and more than 40,000 members.
Founded in 1638, Appleton Farms is the oldest continuously operating farm in America. In 1998, the Appleton family donated the 1,000-acre farm to The Trustees of Reservations, a leading land conservation organization in Massachusetts. Now a flagship agricultural property for The Trustees, Appleton Farms is home to pasture-raised dairy and beef herds, a 650 share community-supported agriculture program, hundreds of acres of pastures and forest, and volunteer- and staff-led programs that educate the public about small scale, sustainable agriculture.
The Cheese Maker (CM) at Appleton Farms is a key member of the farm’s full-time staff. The CM reports to the Property Superintendent and must work closely with other employees of the farm staff and The Trustees of Reservations. The position’s work schedule is variable, may include work on weekends and holidays, and is based on an average 5 day work week.
- Assist in development and management of the annual cheese plant budget and operate within that budget.
- Develop product recipes, as needed, and operate all processing equipment to pasteurize and produce dairy products from Appleton Farms raw milk.
- Employ best-practices and procedures for the dairy to ensure regulatory compliance, food safety, employee safety, product quality, efficiency, and cost control.
- Develop and ensure compliance with standard operating procedures (SOPs) for all aspects of the operation.
- Supervise any part-time assistant cheese makers and volunteers.
- Ensure accurate record keeping that meets management goals and regulations.
- Cut, wrap, pack, label and prepare dairy products for sale and shipping.
- Support TTOR efforts to make Appleton a carbon-neutral facility by minimizing energy consumption wherever feasible.
- Work closely with our Engagement Manager and Farm Educator to provide support for farm programming and tours.
- Collaborate/network with other value-added dairy operations, cheese makers and farms to share best practices.
- Other duties as assigned with or without accommodation.
The CM must have at least 3 years of experience in pasteurization and dairy processing and 2-4 years of cheese-making experience (including fresh cheeses; soft, ripened cheeses; and aged cheeses). Knowledge of Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point Compliance is preferred, certification is a plus. The CM should have a thorough understanding of regulatory laws and responsibilities related to processing, filling, and general facility standards. Understanding of budgeting, cost control, and federal milk reporting requirements is important. A valid driver’s license and satisfactory driving record is required. The ability to work on repetitive tasks with speed and accuracy and a willingness to adhere to the strictest level of hygiene is critical. The CM must be in good physical health and be able to regularly lift up to 50 pounds. The CM must possess and display an appreciation for the rich agricultural and cultural history of Appleton Farms. A positive attitude, team-oriented, flexible approach and a commitment to achieving the goals Appleton Farms and The Trustees of Reservations are a key part of the job.
Benefits and Salary:
The Trustees offers a competitive salary and benefits package, including medical, dental, and vision insurance, life and disability insurance, flexible spending account, vacation, sick and personal time, as well as the option to participate in our 401(k) savings plan. We also offer the opportunity to be part of a dedicated team across the Commonwealth who love the outdoors, who love the distinctive charms of New England, and who believe in celebrating and protecting our special places, for everyone, forever.
In addition to being an Equal Opportunity Employer, The Trustees of Reservations aim to create a thriving, inclusive workplace that values each member of our team. We aspire to reflect and effectively serve the residents and communities of Massachusetts who are at the core of our mission.