Engelwood, New Jersey
CULINARY ASSISTANT JOB DESCRIPTION
Le Gourmet Factory Cooking School in Englewood, NJ is seeking a Part time Chef Assistant immediately. This position reports to the Cooking School Director. Kitchen helpers assist chefs and guests in the cooking school by keeping the kitchen(s) clean and by performing a variety of food preparation tasks, as well as event set-up and breakdown. This is a “front-of-the-house” & “back-of-the-house” position. Previous experience working in a restaurant setting (e.g., dishwasher, bus boy/girl, etc.) is preferred, but not required.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities (includes the following but not limited to):
- Assist Head Chef/Cooking Instructor with public recreational cooking classes & private events.
- Prepare mise en place for recipes for hands-on and demonstration cooking classes
- Work as a team to cook, serve and clean
- Successful applicant must embody hospitality
- Instruct hands-on students in executing recipes while presenting a pleasant, professional demeanor
- Retrieve food items from fridge or freezer
- Wash, peel and/or cut food items, including fruit, vegetables and meats
- Portion, plate or wrap food items or dishes and set out/serve as necessary
- Weigh or measure ingredients (e.g., flour, salt, sugar, oil)
- Re-fill kitchen supplies fro pantry stock as needed
- Stack and store food supplies, equipment, or other utensils in the kitchen
- Wipe down kitchen surfaces using proper sanitizers
- Sweep the kitchen floor
- Take out trash bags from kitchen.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Flexible schedule- Nights and weekend availability a must, but our classes also take place during weekday daytime. The more flexible you are, the more shifts we can offer.
- Shifts average 4-6 hours. Each week varies. Daytime and evening shifts are available, plus some weekends.
- Reliable, punctual, and committed to customer service.
- Required ability to lift 30 pounds. Physical stamina and endurance – ability to stand and walk for hours
- Solid foundation in culinary terms, knife skills and techniques is desirable, but not required
- Able to follow instructions and established procedures
- Possess excellent interpersonal skill and ability to communicate effectively with customers, other team members and leadership.
- Able to communicate, read and comprehend instructions in English.
- Willingness to pitch-in and work as a team
- Adaptability to work with many different chefs and styles of cuisine
This is a part-time job.
COMPENSATION this position is PAID: hourly