Red Fire Farm, a leader in organic farming with more than 100 acres in cultivation, seeks an experienced farmer to lead production at our Granby property.
Our production manager is responsible for all aspects of tractor work, record keeping, detailed vegetable cultivation, training of junior tractor operators and general staff management in Granby, where we have a diversity of crops growing on roughly 50 acres.
We need a person who is motivated by responsibility as well as by the pace, pressure and vagaries of farming in New England. Perspective and a good sense of humor are preferred. Charisma is helpful.
At Red Fire, we grow for several markets — CSA, wholesale, retail — and we grow pretty much every crop that can survive in this climate. We are dedicated to producing a high-quality product and the success of that begins with good cultivation.
Candidates should have:
- At least five years experience farming;
- At least two years in a management position on a farm;
- Previous experience on a large (30-40 acre) mixed vegetable farm;
- Experience with a variety of tractors and implements.
- Excellent communication and leadership skills;
In this role, you’ll be in charge of developing and overseeing daily production tasks for crews. It will also be up to you to give feedback to tractor operators and crew leaders. This position is part of the core leadership, you’ll be required to attend monthly managers meetings and work with the leadership team to create a positive, supportive culture for everyone who works on the farm.
Other responsibilities include:
- Help assess staffing needs and hours through the season
- Keep all production records (inputs, actuals, etc.) up to date and organized
- Manage scheduling of and participate in irrigation and frost protection
- Manage spraying schedule and communication with operators and other departments for safety
- Keep inventory of production supplies
- Coordinate machinery maintenance and repair with farm owner and farm mechanic
- Oversee upkeep of greenhouses and tunnels, and care for plants inside.
The compensation package includes a competitive hourly rate or possibility for salary, if preferred; paid time off; bonus; cell phone reimbursement; year-round access to our vegetables.
Please detail previous machinery experience, including crops and methods, in your application. Housing may be available as well. Please indicate if you’re interested! Send a resume and letter of interest to email@example.com.