Tetra Tech, a leading multidisciplinary engineering and environmental consulting firm consistently ranked number 1 in Water Services and Environmental Management by Engineering News Record (ENR), is actively pursuing local food experts to support community technical assistance projects throughout the U.S. The successful candidate(s) will work as a team member to support outreach, planning and facilitation assignments related to community local foods assistance projects, under the direct supervision of a Project Manager. Typical responsibilities include: communicating with local communities and federal partner agencies to clarify community project goals, workshop planning, onsite outreach and facilitation, and preparation of a next steps strategy memo summarizing community workshop outcomes. Example community assistance projects include:
- Creating year-round, downtown markets featuring foods from local farmers.
- Planning cooperative grocery stores to help revitalize small-town main streets and existing neighborhoods.
- Creating centrally located community kitchens or food hubs to aggregate and market local foods.
- Incorporating downtown/neighborhood revitalization strategies such as business incubators to help entrepreneurs start food-related businesses on existing main streets.
- Making it easier and safer for people to walk or bicycle to farmers markets and local restaurants.
- Helping schoolchildren to grow their own food, and making healthy local food accessible to families, including via SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program) and WIC (Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children) benefits.
- Developing community gardens in walkable, transit-accessible places.
At a minimum, the successful candidate will have a background and bachelors degree in agricultural/local food related field and 5 or more years of related experience. Education and demonstrated work experience related to strong communication and public speaking skills are required, along with background or training in local food systems, innovative marketing, and/or urban agriculture and local food business entrepreneurship. Must be computer literate and have knowledge of MS Word.
Relocation Assistance: None
Tetra Tech is committed to maintaining a diverse workforce and is an equal opportunity employer. If you are interested in this exciting role, please send your resume and salary requirements by email to RTPfirstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.