Allen Farmers Market & Breadbasket Manager
Allen Neighborhood Center (ANC) is a dynamic, non-profit community development organization serving the northeast quadrant of Lansing, MI, called the ‘Eastside.’ The Center takes a comprehensive and integrative approach to community development, working simultaneously on food security and food access, health education, housing improvement, commercial corridor revitalization, and social capital building. A place-based organization with deep roots in the neighborhood, we work collaboratively with a broad array of regional partners and organizations that share our comprehensive agenda.
We are seeking a full-time Allen Farmers Market & Breadbasket Manager who will provide oversight of all operations of our year-round, weekly, Allen Farmers Market and Breadbasket food pantry.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Regular and robust marketing and promotion; representing the Farmers Market to the community.
- Farmer/vendor selection and support, including assisting vendors with merchandising, marketing and business skills.
- Maintaining detailed financial, attendance, and product records, and keeping current all permits, licensing, and contractual agreements.
- Overseeing the Market Bank, to provide currency to debit/credit/SNAP/Double Up Food Bucks users.
- Developing & maintaining positive customer and vendor relations; conducting surveys to measure patron and vendor satisfaction.
- Oversee event logistics, maintaining supplies and equipment (tents, flags, tables, chairs, etc.).
- Serving as the quality control person for produce and other food products.
- Develop, coordinate & promote a schedule of culinary workshops (ex. cooking classes, food preservation, etc.) taught by educators from partnering organizations.
- Recruit, train, and supervise volunteers, interns, and AmeriCorps members involved in the Farmers Market & Breadbasket programs.
- Evaluate and write reports showcasing program effectiveness.
- A professional and resourceful style with the ability to work independently and as a team player.
- Strong organizational skills with exceptional attention to detail as they manage multiple tasks/projects.
- Experience in managing and creating relationships with multiple partners, patrons, and neighbors, as well as rotating AmeriCorps, interns, and volunteers.
- Entrepreneurial energy, high level of initiative, positive, “can-do” attitude, flexibility, and teamwork.
- Excellent verbal, written, communication, and customer service skills.
- Ability to develop, implement, nurture and evaluate programs.
- Proficiency in web management, Microsoft Office Suite, graphic design programs, etc.
- Experience in special events coordination and planning
- Flexible availability required (some nights and weekends)
- Passion for strengthening the local food system and for the ANCmission
- Commitment to Lansing’s Eastside, its residents, stakeholders as well as strategic partners throughout the mid-Michigan region
- Strong candidates will have education or training related to the position; and passion for food and community.
Full time position (40 hours/week) to begin early January 2015.
Salary commensurate with experience, benefits available.
Cover letter & resume due December 4, 2015
Submit electronically to: