Land’s Sake – Seasonal Forestry Assistant
Land’s Sake is seeking a qualified applicant to fill a seasonal Forestry Assistant position. The position will average approximately 25-35 hours per week from January to April 2016. Actual weekly hours will depend on weather and scheduling.
The Forestry Assistant will primarily be working on firewood production and maple sugaring. Applicants must have experience safely using a chainsaw and with bucking. Experience with low impact forestry equipment such as a farm tractor, cable winch, log splitter, etc is a plus. with maple sugar production welcome but not necessary in this position. All applicants must be able to pass a background check, as this position may involve working with children. Please note that this job is physically demanding, and requires full days of manual labor outside in all weather.
- In cooperation with the town of Weston’s Conservation Commission, sustainably harvest firewood as a form of forest stand improvement.
- Under the direction of the program manager, work to buck and limb trees, then split and stack approximately 40-50 cords of firewood over the course of the season.
- Maintain a clean work site by cutting down slash, removing debris from trails, keeping an eye towards the overall aesthetics of the forest.
- Maintain and properly store equipment, including minor repairs as needed.
- Assist in production of maple syrup
- Tap sugar maples and hang sap collection buckets on 300-400 trees at beginning of season, and remove, clean and store buckets at the end of season
- Help to collect sap from buckets during sap runs, use wood-fired evaporator to boil sap, and bottle syrup
- Maintain and care for all forestry and maple sugaring equipment through regular cleaning, tuning, etc.
- Support Education program field trips and visits to sugar house
- Assist in planning and hosting community outreach events such as informational site walks, volunteer work days, sugaring-off festival, etc.
Compensation is hourly at a rate commensurate with skills and experience. Temporary seasonal rental housing may also be available.
If interested, please send a resume, cover letter, and salary history to email@example.com. Applications will be considered as they are received – this position will remain open until filled. Land’s Sake is an equal opportunity employer.