Farm to School Apprentice
The Sustainable Nantucket Farm to School Program teaches lifetime lessons to island children in nutrition and environmental stewardship though the hands-on process of growing, harvesting, cooking and eating food. This is accomplished though our three objectives; Curricula, Farms and Food and Community Education.
The Sustainable Nantucket Farm to School Program is looking to hire one individual to be this Summer’s Farm to School Apprentice
Apprenticeship Description: This paid position will enable one individual to participate in, food production, local food advocacy, and education through experience in the Farm to School (F2S) Program enhancing agricultural, educational, leadership and outreach skills.
Ideal Candidate will:
- Be available June 1st – October 31st.
- Interest in learning about agriculture, nutrition and inspiring youth and the community about the local food system.
- Desire to learn or improve agricultural skills
- Have a passion for educating youth and the community around local sustainable agriculture
- Willingness to learn and ability to work without supervision with attention to detail
- Experience working with children
- Be enrolled in or recently completed a college program
Core Elements and Responsibilities :
- 30 hours/week between June – August & 20 hours September – October
- Assist the Manager in Farm to School (F2S) related tasks
- Propagation of produce and general maintenance of the F2S garden
- Harvesting and preparing produce for sale, storage, or service in the school cafeteria
- Assisting with and leading garden workshops and visiting camps
- Selling produce at the SN Farmers and Artisans Market
- Writing and leading lessons based on core curricular requirements in the school environment.
To apply please send resume and cover letter to Kathleen at F2S@sustainableNantucket.org
To Learn more about Sustainable Nantucket visit: www.SustainableNantucket.org